classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Painting over cellulose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
RogerB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Painting over cellulose Reply with quote

My Standard 8 was sprayed with black cellulose about 6-7 years ago, and although I have kept the paintwork well polished, scratches and other blemishes are now showing through. If I want to repaint the bonnet top and roof with coach paint and leave the 'good' cellulose paint areas can I paint over the cellulose and how do I prevent an obvious joint between the coach and cellulose paint?

RogerB
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason in particular that you want to use coach paint? Oil based over cellulose is ok, but if anyone attempts to pant with cellulose over the oil base in the future they will get a reaction.

I'd spray in cellulose and blend in by moving the gun away where you meet the good paint, cut in when the paint is cured, or you can use fade out thinner.

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason in particular that you want to use coach paint? Oil based over cellulose is ok, but if anyone attempts to pant will cellulose over the oil base in the future they will get a reaction.

I'd spray in cellulose and blend in by moving the gun away where you meet the good paint, cut in when the paint is cured, or you can use fade out thinner.

Dave
RogerB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Painting over Cellulose Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. As I do not have a spray gun all my painting is going to be done by brush and the only experience of brush painting was on a motor bike many years ago.

If I can use an oil based paint that's ok providing is can be applied with a brush. I'm not really worried about a future owner respraying the car with cellulose.....

What oil based paint is recommended and does it require a primer?

RogerB
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Dave has the answer.

However, if you don't have a compressor and gun and don't wish to invest in one why not do the job with rattle cans? It is surprising how good a finish you can get - much better than brush painting (i.m.o.).

Your call, of course.
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get an answer to your actual question, you could have a look at the Craftmaster Paints UK website. They make traditional enamel paints for all types of vehicles boats and stationary engines for brushing or spraying.
You can also ring them up for advice. Very helpful.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the dim distant past I hand painted a V8 Pilot with Valspar (is that still available?) After using plenty of rubbing down compound and plenty of old fashioned wax polish it was good enough to pass as a cheap respray

OOPs edited a typing error
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I'm sure I've seen Valspar somewhere in the last couple of years.
https://www.valsparpaint.co.uk/
There is a store finder on there.

My father sprayed our Austin TenFour with Valspar, I can't remember how much thinners he had to use but it was probably a fair bit, using a cylinder vacuum cleaner spray attachment, which of course was plugged in to the outlet end.
That was a feature of cylinder type cleaners having a hose fitting at each end I don't think any modern vacuums have that facility.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That was a feature of cylinder type cleaners having a hose fitting at each end I don't think any modern vacuums have that facility.

I have purchased a cheap vacuum cleaner from Screwfix [In a 'new premises' opening offer].....really for the workshop, but also used to sweep the grass, clear up leaves, etc...[it has a humongous sponge filter inside, which gets cleaned out now & then]....it has both a suction hole, and a blower hole....a system I discovered to my dismay when I first tried it out in the kitchen....... Sad
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst on the topic of hand-painting vehicle bodywork....can I offer the method of using a roller to apply the colour, followed immediately by a brush to even things out?

I have seen one or two YouTube videos of this technique, and , by my somewhat reduced standards in this department, it seemed a useful technique?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
I'm sure I've seen Valspar somewhere in the last couple of years.
https://www.valsparpaint.co.uk/
There is a store finder on there.

My father sprayed our Austin TenFour with Valspar, I can't remember how much thinners he had to use but it was probably a fair bit, using a cylinder vacuum cleaner spray attachment, which of course was plugged in to the outlet end.
my mum & dad had one of those, it was a Hoover cylinder vac, the fittings were a dark green colour with a glass spray gun.....it was rubbish as a spray gun!

These days a gun and small compressor can be bought for less than £100, so why use coach paint?

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need some of this too ...

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/masking-a-car.htm

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem..other makes of "masking tape" are available. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: