classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

[split] Old Range Rovers and rusty Discos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after six months without a "proper"car I finally collected my series 1 Discovery V8 ES yesterday.
First impressions , I must admit are quite good. Bearing in mind that this car is following a Classic LSE,owned for almost ten years, it has a difficult task ahead.
The Disco was very cheap to buy, but having commissioned a comprehensive overhaul at Armson ae in Syston, it is now possibly among the best series ones left, but is no longer cheap! Mechanically, it is probably as good as it gets. I don't put much store on cars looking perfect, but this one is quite tidy, and the leather interior is very good.
It drove the 130 miles home nicely, and showed up no faults.
So, all in all, I'm quite pleased with it. It will never be a Range Rover LSE replacement, but it could be a respectable successor.
It's gone to have the LPG system sorted today, so I've lost it already! Crying or Very sad
Norseman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a lover of LPG on RV8's (ask me why … second thoughts don't!) but at least with the 3.5L you should be ok, just be meticulous regarding cooling system maintenance. Enjoy your new toy even though it won't replace a Classic Crying or Very sad

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norseman wrote:
I'm not a lover of LPG on RV8's (ask me why … second thoughts don't!) but at least with the 3.5L you should be ok, just be meticulous regarding cooling system maintenance. Enjoy your new toy even though it won't replace a Classic Crying or Very sad

Cheers. This will be my fourth LPG V8, Norseman, and they have all been exemplary, both performance and economy. All of them have been the basic single-point systems; much less to go wrong! I think the secret is in the installation and maintenance. Quality will always tell in the end.
BTW, I once worked out how much I'd saved over the years and it amounted to many thousands of pounds. I don't know where it all went, though!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Norseman wrote:

Cheers. This will be my fourth LPG V8, Norseman, and they have all been exemplary, both performance and economy. All of them have been the basic single-point systems; much less to go wrong! I think the secret is in the installation and maintenance. Quality will always tell in the end.
BTW, I once worked out how much I'd saved over the years and it amounted to many thousands of pounds. I don't know where it all went, though!

I ran a nearly new Vauxhall Omega that I had converted to LPG with a really basic single mixer carburettor, it performed fantastically for 150,000 miles and I sold the car on after that..
Dave
Norseman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:

The dreaded slipped-liner problem can effect any 94mm bore RV8. My bad experience, rectification of which cost many times the fuel savings I'd made, involved a well maintained 3.9L professionally converted at 85k. All three of my Classics owned since have been the relatively bulletproof 3.5L version & run on petrol only.

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Discovery back from the LPG man yesterday. He has fitted a multi-point injection system which looks incredibly complicated!
I don't know whether I mentioned that the car had bits of an LPG system on when I bought it, and I thought that he could just put it all to work, but he said no, it would be just as cheap to fit new. It cost a bit more than expected, but it looks and feels a very good job.
I'm spending the next couple of days putting all the "stuff" out of the RR into the Discovery, then we're off on Friday for a short-haul caravan weekend.
It must be growing on me because I had it washed this morning!
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:

That's encouraging, you'll be mounting the kerbs at the local supermarket next & keep your distance from the school-run brigade, somewhere I've never seen a Classic, but Discos ...

emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
I got the Discovery back from the LPG man yesterday. He has fitted a multi-point injection system which looks incredibly complicated!
I don't know whether I mentioned that the car had bits of an LPG system on when I bought it, and I thought that he could just put it all to work, but he said no, it would be just as cheap to fit new. It cost a bit more than expected, but it looks and feels a very good job.
I'm spending the next couple of days putting all the "stuff" out of the RR into the Discovery, then we're off on Friday for a short-haul caravan weekend.

All went well. The only snag in the whole LPG job is that i don't know how much the tanks hold! I filled up last week, and have now done 123 miles. I reckon they are two 35 litre tanks, so it should run out at about 180/200 miles, as 100 of that was towing the heavy old Royale.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
emmerson wrote:

All went well. The only snag in the whole LPG job is that i don't know how much the tanks hold! I filled up last week, and have now done 123 miles. I reckon they are two 35 litre tanks, so it should run out at about 180/200 miles, as 100 of that was towing the heavy old Royale.

My Disco had 2x 40 litre underfloor tanks, and at best I could squeeze about 65 litres into them both (linked together).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Norseman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

My Disco had 2x 40 litre underfloor tanks, and at best I could squeeze about 65 litres into them both (linked together). RJ

That was another down-side of the LPG installation my Classic had back in the early 'nineties … lack of outlets. I recall a journey from Essex to Lincoln with just one LPG station on the entire trip & that was on the northbound carriageway of the A1, nothing on the South. The network of outlets may well have improved since those days when the stuff was dispensed by many small outlets, many of which were either off the beaten track, had restricted retail business hours or even both Confused

emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norseman wrote:
Rick wrote:

My Disco had 2x 40 litre underfloor tanks, and at best I could squeeze about 65 litres into them both (linked together). RJ

That was another down-side of the LPG installation my Classic had back in the early 'nineties … lack of outlets. I recall a journey from Essex to Lincoln with just one LPG station on the entire trip & that was on the northbound carriageway of the A1, nothing on the South. The network of outlets may well have improved since those days when the stuff was dispensed by many small outlets, many of which were either off the beaten track, had restricted retail business hours or even both Confused

Times certainly have changed! At one time there was at least one LPG pump in every town, but they are starting to decrease a little now. BP/M&S stations seem to be quitting. I still have four within ten miles of home, and have never failed to complete a journey on LPG. In Europe, almost every other garage sells gas.
Mog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dd look at buying a second hand Disco but decided to buy a MWB Toyota Landcruiser . More reliable and less problems . Spare parts more available in Australia . I still own it after 10 years and have done many kms. Some small problems but nothing major . 3B 4 cylinder diesel engine .
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
emmerson wrote:

It actually ran out at 138 miles. I guess the tanks must be two 35s, as it took 63 litres to fill. That works out at only 10mpg, whereas it did 17 on petrol and the old Rr used to manage 12 towing, so back to the gas man asap!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
emmerson wrote:
emmerson wrote:

It actually ran out at 138 miles. I guess the tanks must be two 35s, as it took 63 litres to fill. That works out at only 10mpg, whereas it did 17 on petrol and the old Rr used to manage 12 towing, so back to the gas man asap!

As mentioned I'd get about 63/65 litres or so into my twin-tank setup (80 litres combined), from that I'd get around 170-190 miles or so out of it - so around 13/15 mpg in mixed driving.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
emmerson wrote:
emmerson wrote:
emmerson wrote:

As mentioned I'd get about 63/65 litres or so into my twin-tank setup (80 litres combined), from that I'd get around 170-190 miles or so out of it - so around 13/15 mpg in mixed driving.

That's what the RR used to do solo, and 12/13 towing. Hopefully the Disco just needs a bit of tweaking.
The weekend tow was still £11.00 cheaper than it would have been on petrol, though.

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: