classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hillman Imp - yay or nay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little A35s. I think the trick was to keep the low gearing. Not a high top speed but you got there PDQ. Laughing
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Peter, the A35 never ran with a 1350cc engine in period! Unfortunately the Goodwood organisers are quite happy to ignore period specifications when it suits them - they ban Mk2 Jags in their pre-1960 races even though the Mk2 came out in 1959, but are quite happy to include, for example, Mk2 A40s which didn't appear until 1961 and then allow oversize engines which were never used in period at all!

Sorry, but that's a bit of a bugbear with me Rolling Eyes
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCOPYTecPyU
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Sorry guys, but I must be bucking the trend.

As I said, I have never owned either, but as I have posted in a earlier thread, an uncle and a cousin (opposite sides of my family) experienced and good drivers, both ended up on their roofs in their Hillman Imps. My cousin on the Southend Arterial and my uncle on the Great West Road out of London.

Keith

It probably says more about their driving than it does about the car, if the car is in good condition and the tyres are at the correct pressures the imp will corner as well as any mini and just as stable on the straight as any other car.

Morris 8 two seater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: