classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lack of power
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a flexi pipe running to the inlet side of the pump, from the main fuel line? if so perhaps it's restricted internally? Just a random thought.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Austin100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick
From the fuel line that comes from the petrol tank yes there was a short metal braided pipe to the fuel pump which I have changed for a new rubber type with an in-line filter in, but like I mentioned earlier I have turned engine over and plenty of fuel comes out at the pipe end which is connected to carb so I don't think it's lack of fuel.
Pete
Austin100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I did the test suggested by letting engine warm up so ticking over then closed the choke while operating the throttle and the engine picked up nicely. So next took the carb off cleaned all jets and passageways with cleaner toothbrush and blew down all holes with air cannisters.
Reassembled fired it up and while there was a slight improvement it is still hesitant on acceleration.
Noticed exhaust blowing at silencer so on my knees hole about half inch in box suppose that won't help!
Austin100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After giving the carb a good clean yesterday today I went for a short run in the car and the engine seems to be picking up quite well. The timing I think needs to be adjusted slightly and also the mixture is a bit rich so that needs to be adjusted but as they say I think "problem solved".
Thanks for all you suggestions and comments they have been a real help.
Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: