classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Here a tip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Here a tip. Reply with quote

I've just been told a tip that I will pass on.
Admittedly i haven't tried it and it sounds a bit messy(and smoky).
You need to find TDC on your engine and it doesn't have any timing marks, you can't get a rod down the spark plug hole onto the piston crown (maybe it's a sidevalve) and you don't want to remove the cylinder head.
You get an old spark plug and remove/drill out the centre so you are just left with the threaded hexagon metal bit. Find a suitably sized stub of metal tube that fits this spark plug body. Solder,weld or glue the stub so that a bit sticks out the top. Find a length of clear plastic hose to fit the stub.
Pour some oil into the combustion chamber . Fit your newly made gadget. Turn the engine over slowly and observe the rise and fall of the oil in the clear tube.
TDC is obviously at the highest point the liquid reaches.
Any other usefully hints or tips?
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I wonder if that would work by fitting a small sausage shaped ballon over the end of the pipe?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: