classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any love for two-strokes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why with modern fuel injection and superchargers that would do away with the need to mix fuel and oil, a 2 stroke can't be as clean as a 4 stroke, and with twice as many bangs per cycle it be more powerful?

Morris 8 two seater
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Detroit Diesel and the Foden in this country were both two strokes, they had exhaust valves and they were supercharged. The Commer TS3 was also two stroke but that was a different concept although I think it still had exhaust valves and it was definitely supercharged. I only ever rebuilt one of those and that must be forty years ago. I did a few Foden's a guy was having them rebuilt and then sending them to Australia where they used them in boats. Just out of interest the Detroit was a modular engine, starting as a twin cylinder and was available in various combinations up to 32 cylinders for marine use. I have only ever seen a V8
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting two strokes here. The Sachs engine also powered the Messerschmitt KR175

https://cyclemaster.wordpress.com/page-48-german-cyclemotors-fichtel-sachs-1935-triumph-ts100/
Rusty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
Just out of interest the Detroit was a modular engine, starting as a twin cylinder and was available in various combinations up to 32 cylinders for marine use. I have only ever seen a V8

Yes, and also the only engine series I have had anything to do with that could be physically changed on site to alter its rotation from clockwise to counterclockwise for contra rotating propellers in twin engine marine operation. At the technical college I attended as a teenager they had one in the engine room, and a common thing for the Diesel apprentices to have to do was to pull it down and make it run the opposite way, only took two apprentices about an hour to accomplish. I know of an instance where a 3 cyl GM tractor engine was overhauled by a very competent mechanic, and once done he couldn't get it to run until those involved talked to another of our "locals" who was very experienced with GMs. He scratched his chin for a while and then said "you haven't put the camshaft in backwards have you", which was exactly what had happened. Apparently the camshafts are end for ended when you change the rotation.

I owned a tractor out here with an inline 6 - 2 stroke "Nissan" Diesel in it and that was a great piece of kit ! One of the local importers brought in a large shipment of them and they were fitted into boats, trucks, tractors, and a lot of industrial machinery. Most of those who saw them used to say they were a Jap copy of a GM but in fact they started out being manufactured under licence from Krupp Junkers in Germany and their heritage is from some of those wacky German marine engines.

Its a shame those "heavy" Diesel 2 strokes have been pretty much legislated out of existence because they had a lot going for them.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later Auto Union DKW's had a belt driven oil injector (the Lubrimat) as with Jap motorbikes in the 70s. Better and more consistent oiling but still gave some smoke as the oil does get burnt.
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course....don't forget the famous Napier Deltic engine, which was a 2 stroke! It is also mesmerising, if anyone has stood pressing the button on the interactive demonstration model in the National Railway Museum, York?
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Commer TS3? Wasn't the blower actually a scavenger, rather than a forced induction thing?
Whilst I am not a diesel fitter, I used to have the pleasure [dubious or otherwise] of driving a Commer [Avenger?] coach..with, IIRC, a Duple body, dating from 1959...in anger, so to speak.

The noise was glorious...especially when going out to start the early morning school runs......could be driven up through the East Yorkshire villages at around half six to seven o'clock, and the house lights would all light up, following one's passage up the street..

The blower would eventually dislodge the carbon in the exhaust...which exited out the off-side...this carbon would be glowing red hot....and the subsequent firework display was a joy to behold, and a nightmare for any mustgetons who were looking to overtake!!! Once cleared of surplus carbon, all would calm down.....but those behind would never quite trust the display to not start up once more....at any given time.....teee hee!

This particular vehicle, IIRC, started life with the 'small' version of the Commer engine...but, when this eventually expired, the only replacement available was the larger 'lorry' engine....

The bodywork was only what I could describe as 'elegant' inside....despite the moss growing around the window ledges..the superb diamond-shaped interior lights, the seating, the fitments, all spoke of another age altogether [This was in the early 1980's]...

The passenger door was about a third the way down the near side...
Some kids would fight to get one of the front seats...

Yet..the old girl would lift her skirts and get up to over 70 mph uphill, when no-one was looking......
Despite not having [or ever being fitted with?] dampers for the rear springs.....

Alas, I cannot recall the reg number.......4 numbers & 2 letters...I hope the coach got preseved..it deserved it.
alanb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teenager the local gravel pit had a fleet of the Commer ts3 tipper lorries you could hear them coming round the lanes for several minutes before they appeared, 90bhp from 3ltrs was quite something in the 60s.

Morris 8 two seater
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great - wish I had heard it
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being shown a Trojan bubble car in which you turned the key one way to start it for go and the other way for reverse, I was quite impressed I seem to remember.

As regards the Orbital, I seem to remember that Ford were developing it for the at the time new Fiesta, but then it died a death.

And wasn't the Ecurie Ecosse transporter a 2-stroke? It is so long since I heard it run I can't remember.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Quote:
The transporter was designed by Selby Howgate[9] and built by coachbuilders Alexander, of Falkirk, Scotland. Based on a Commer chassis it is powered by a Commer TS3 three-cylinder horizontally-opposed two-stroke diesel engine.

By the way, it is ISN'T not WASN'T, unless it has been lost in the meantime, it fetched £1.8 million in 2013

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered the Ecurie Ecosse transporter for restoration by a guy I met at the Gmex in Manchester in the 80s Shocked And turned it down.

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
I was offered the Ecurie Ecosse transporter for restoration by a guy I met at the Gmex in Manchester in the 80s Shocked And turned it down.

Art

Laughing
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one seems have mentioned a real Trojan! If you want a wider two-stroke this must be the one! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: