classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hydrogen, batteries and *The Future*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
Rusty wrote:
47Jag wrote:
I personally can’t see the attraction of converting a classic car to electric. I mean, what our hobby is all about is keeping ancient machines running, against all odds at some times.

I "shudder" every time I see prince Harry on the TV driving his electric E type, it just misses the point ! Out here we have a chap who does electric conversions on all sorts of vehicles and he drives (or used to, don't know if he still has it) a mid 60s electric Ford Mustang, and I am sorry, but hearing it glide silently past is just "Wrong".

I agree 100%......but in x amount of years time would you rather see that mustang glide past silently or not see it at all?

Yes, I'm not overly keen on the idea of "ruining" a classic by ripping its engine out and fitting an electric motor and battery pack, but if the only realistic options - apart from dumping it in a barn or garage to rot - are doing such a conversion or scrapping the car outright I think the conversion is the lesser of the evils. I can't see more than a tithe of our oldies finding homes in museums, I suspect we've reached near enough saturation point with museums now and doubt there will be any more interest in the future.
Minxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
Whatever type of battery used you can't get out more than you put in, so where is all this electricity going to come from? We don't generate enough for our needs now, we have to buy additional supplies in from France and maybe the French won't sell it to us after brexit

There is an initiative just being introduced called V2G (Vehicle to Grid) whereby when your EV is fully charged and plugged in the grid takes its stored energy and uses it at peak times then replaces it when demand is less. They then pay you for the privilege. This should mean less energy has to be ‘purchased’ at peak times. Couple this with solar panels and you effectively have your own mini power station. All controlled by smart meter/phone so you are in control and your car is charged when you need it. It’s based on the fact that on average at any one time 90% of cars are sat doing nothing.
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
so where is all this electricity going to come from?

I would think the best people to ask this question to are the people who manufacture and distribute the stuff.
Surely they are the ones who know most about it.
So, If anyone should be concerned about keeping the lights on I would think it would be National Grid.
A quick search reveals that are very confident and actually support the proposal to bring the 2040 date forward to 2030.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/environment/2018/03/28/stop-the-sale-of-new-conventional-petrol-and-diesel-cars-by-2030-national-grid-tells-mps

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/937922/petrol-diesel-car-ban-electric-car-national-grid
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
All controlled by smart meter/phone so you are in control...

Until the Russians or Chinese hack the system..?

Call me an old luddite but I just don't trust this "smart" technology.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: