classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: MG TC Reply with quote

I have bought a 1949 MG TC. The car was imported from NSW in 2016 and is sound as a bell with no signs of rust. The milage is believed to be low - around 25,000 miles - and it has all matching numbers.
Unfortunately there is presently no history but the MG is known to an owners club down under and they may be able to help. Chassis number TC 10030 and engine XPAG10685 make this one of the last TCs built with a construction date 25/10/1949.

I snapped up the TC the day the advert appeared on Classic Cars for sale. Contrary to the request that callers phone in the evening (and my wife's chastisement for ignoring the request) I called immediately and arranged a visit that afternoon.

He who hesitates is lost and it would appear that the elderly owner could have sold the car several times over as his phone hasn't stopped ringing since!.

In order that the imported MG be registered with the DVLA - it has been allocated an age related number (Paisley prefix) - the car has received what the seller admitted had been a somewhat hurried restoration but that was reflected in the price. That said, the engine has been rebuilt and when up to temperature shows excellent oil pressure; there is no smoke and apart from a blowing exhaust it seems fine.

It is believed the TC was laid up in 1960 was simply and allowed to deteriorate. The tyres date from then and will be renewed shortly.

I know the TC is not perfect. There are a few issues with the paint; the interior and dash have been partly restored in light tan but the seats remain to be recovered. The instruments are original but could benefit from restoration and the brakes need some attention...
but this is a usable car that I can tinker with. The original headlamps came with the car but will need restoration - sealed beam lights are fitted at the moment and the stop/tail lamps will be replaced. The MG emblem is missing from the spare wheel spinner - but I have a replacement to hand - and the hood frame (and side screens) are with the car and will need recovering but there is nothing that can't easily be put right.

I couldn't be happier. Very Happy

Last edited by Ray White on Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great find there Ray, look forward to following progress. Are the tyres 19"s? if so I could find a use for them if they're still flexible enough to be re-mounted, to move my Minor around on in the garage.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Looks like a great find there Ray, look forward to following progress. Are the tyres 19"s? if so I could find a use for them if they're still flexible enough to be re-mounted, to move my Minor around on in the garage.

RJ

Hi Rick. Unfortunately the tyres are rock hard and perished - although the tubes still hold air - so I can't imagine they will be much use again... but I will bear your request in mind.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice acquisition, Ray.

Much envy in East Yorkshire indeed.

Pray tell me, how have you discovered the age of those tyres?
{I have some crossplies, and can find nothing at all to denote when they were made]...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
A very nice acquisition, Ray.

Much envy in East Yorkshire indeed.

Pray tell me, how have you discovered the age of those tyres?
{I have some crossplies, and can find nothing at all to denote when they were made]...

There is nothing on the tyres themselves but the car had not moved since the 1960s. I have a photo of it in Australia in an unloved condition.

Incidentally there is a registration sticker stuck to the windscreen dated 1960. What I would like to establish is if the car was exported new to Australia...or later in its life.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your TV looks very good and complete. I'm sure you will have good fun with it.

Peter.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tyres are Goodyear All Weathers and probably date from the mid-1950s; they were certainly no longer being made in 1963 when I tried to obtain a pair to match my existing tyres on my Austin Seven!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have noticed there is a sticker on the windscreen. . It reads New South Wales April 1960. 034271 ...
Vehicle Registration label.

I don't know whether this had to be replaced every year?

Is 1960 the last time it was taxed?

I am assuming the big number 4 refers to April?

Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

Congratulations, I am green with envy! They are a glorious car and will give you much fun.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust that label will be carefully preserved, nice little talking point. Little Dodge has a few small stickers from its life in Oz, albeit more recent.

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith. Yes, I am a happy chappie and -believe or not - Jean also thinks I have done the right thing for once.

Sorry Mike...Rick has first dibs of the tyres! Laughing
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I trust that label will be carefully preserved, nice little talking point. Little Dodge has a few small stickers from its life in Oz, albeit more recent.

RJ

Absolutely! One of the talking points indeed!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

Absolutely! One of the talking points indeed!

I never doubted it really, we're all above such acts of vandalism in these parts Smile Smile

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT is a pity that Henry Wakerley (86) felt the need to paint the car himself. He admitted to me that he has "probably ruined it".

Henry and I hit it off from the start and I like the fellow but his idea of restoration and mine differ. I will put it no stronger than that.

It is rather obvious that Henry's attention to preparation was rather scant and it is interesting that you can just make out the various battle scars under the new paint. I shudder to think what a truly wonderful oily rag car has needlessly been lost.

We are where we are and worse things happen at sea. Wink
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had the TC running. There are a few issues. The most embarrassing thing was when the tail pipe fell off just as my wife was watching. Embarassed Her expression was : Rolling Eyes

I have wasted no time in ordering a new exhaust system from Peter Edney.

The brake pedal goes to the floor. I knew there was a problem with the brakes but I can see it is going to be a priority. Brakes are probably a good place to start with the car's overhaul.

The SU carbs are popping back. I suspect they are running weak but the timing may also be out; too retarded I expect but I will investigate.

I wanted to check the tappets and I like to do this with the starting handle...only today I have discovered it is missing and Henry tells me he has never seen one - so I have splashed out on a new one. There are many XPAG handles about but they are too short. The TAB&C cars have a longer reach handle.

One item that has arrived today (and is probably a luxury) is the workshop manual. The XPAG engine has a distributor that turns anti clockwise but surprisingly this fact has been omitted. I know it would be an easy fact to confirm by watching the rotor while spinning on the starter but it was only when I initially checked that the plug leads were attached in the correct firing order that I realised the distributor must in fact be running anticlockwise.

A minor detail - but one which has me puzzled is the spare wheel spinner. The MG emblem is missing so I bought a genuine replacement off Ebay. It's not perfect but still looks good.

The problem, however, is that the boss of the emblem is too long to fit on the spinner. The threaded part appears to have been stuck to the underside of the top "eared" section by some sort of bitumen. It would account for why the emblem is missing.... Strange. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 1 of 63

Jump to: