classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiring.

It looks worse than it is. Believe it or not, I do know where they all go!

Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the biggest worry I have is with the radiator shell and slats; the studs and holes of which are completely out of alignment.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The chrome plating is excellent but if the grille slats can't be fitted it is no use to me.

I don't know what to do now. Mad

I have spoken to 'Pat' at Derby. Plating. He said he will look into it and get back to me. We shall see.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Collected the 'new' gearbox cover today. The brackets are much more secure with decent welds.

That looks more convincing than the part it replaces. I have to say I'm not fond of spot welded joints for anything critical; I've seen too many of them fail on non-critical things like saucepan handles to be entirely convinced by the process.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My time has been taken up with getting the slats to fit into the radiator shell. After a fair amount (O.K. a hell of a lot Surprised ) of fettling this is the end result. Considering the tatty and broken shell I started with, I am pleased that it has turned out o.k.

peter scott

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good Ray.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Looks very good Ray.

Peter

Thank you Peter. You may have noticed that I have opted to change the slats from red to beige/bronze. This matches the interior which is a more authentic combination.

Having said that I am still waiting for the body tub.
Hopefully it will not be much longer; it will be two years come June!. Mad
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

I may be cynical, but why do these companies take on projects when they have no intention or the ability to complete it within a reasonable time period? Surely building a body tub for an MG TC is hardly rocket science, not is it a great secret. I would consider that for professional tradesmen, a few months maximum from order to delivery would be far more acceptable. After all, this sort of work is certainly not cheap.

By the way, I think you've done a brilliant job on the grille.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Ray,

I may be cynical, but why do these companies take on projects when they have no intention or the ability to complete it within a reasonable time period? Surely building a body tub for an MG TC is hardly rocket science, not is it a great secret. I would consider that for professional tradesmen, a few months maximum from order to delivery would be far more acceptable. After all, this sort of work is certainly not cheap.

By the way, I think you've done a brilliant job on the grille.

Keith

Hi Keith.

The story is more complicated than one might think. Andy Denton of MG Ash frames in Yorkshire is as frustrated as I am about the delay but I was in a long queue for one of his frames.

One delay was caused when one of his customers failed to complete on their deal and the jig could not be used. Eventually Andy moved that frame into his garage.

When it came to my frame the Pandemic hit supplies of Ash timber. Once the frame had been assembled there was another hold up because the chap who does the panelling was taken ill. He is still in quite a bad way but out of hospital and so apparently getting on with it.

With the benefit of hindsight I would have taken on the build myself; it would have been finished by now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
One job that needed doing in preparation for the body tub was a welding repair to the supporting brackets. It would seem that at some point in it's history TC 100030 has had a nasty mishap. I imagine the car must have overturned. It would have ripped the body off the chassis and in doing so torn two of the mounting bolts from the brackets.

It was probably the same accident that broke one of the rear shock absorber mounting brackets and damaged the radiator shell.

Fortunately, the chassis is straight; although possibly it may have been slightly bent - but straightened out.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought that perhaps if I put the chassis on some new wheels it might make me fell as if I was making progress so I contacted MWS (Motor Wheel Service). After leaving a couple of messages that were not answered I eventually made contact.

I ordered 5 new centre laced wheels in silver paint at a cost of £1300 (all in) but was told they would be at least 12 weeks. Shocked

I could have my old wheels rebuilt but they are pretty ropey and the cost would be more than new ones. Rolling Eyes
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing the rolling chassis!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Look forward to seeing the rolling chassis!

RJ

I have been told that it will be 12 weeks. The wheels are made by a Dunlop factory in India. They have been making wheels there since the 1970's.

I can't begin to imagine the suffering in that Country from Covid19 so if my wheels take even longer than expected because of it then I can't grumble.

I have been promised my new body tub by the end of this month. I will believe it when I see it. Rolling Eyes
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body tub arrived today. Was the wait worth it? I am not sure. The fixing holes don't line up and it will require a lot of work to get the body to fit.

I still can't post photos for reasons given elsewhere.

Edit......this afternoon I removed the four short bolts that hold down the prop shaft tunnel at the rear and it sprung up to the correct position.!!!!!!

Having moved UP it has allowed the body to move FORWARD and I have been able to drop bolts loosely into the holes!!!!!!

Oh JOY!!!!
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been tinkering about with the electrics; getting all the wires ready to connect up to the dashboard.

The aim is to protect the various switches and circuits as far as is reasonably possible with relays and fuses. One reason is that I have chosen to eschew the normal black plastic knobs and switches for vanishingly rare ivory coloured ones. The second reason is that I am a bit paranoid about fire; hence going OTT.

There are 8 relays in two banks of four. They protect
1) wipers,
2) sidelights
3) fog lamp
4) fan
5) ignition/alternator
6) main beam
7) dip beam
Cool horn.

One bank is hidden under the dash and the other snugly fitted in the former tool box - along with the heater and the cooling fan thermostat.

I have chosen this as a neat and accessible way of accommodating the relays which are all of good quality - with diodes to protect sensitive electronics from stray high voltage spikes. Further relays are supplied with the (yet to be installed) hydrostatic fuel tank sender unit.

I have also fitted extra fuses. In addition to the two original 35 amp fuses in the former voltage regulator, I have 8 lower value fuses housed in two period style Lucas fuse boxes.

I have yet to calculate the optimum value fuse for each application given the current capacity gauge of the wire in the circuit.

One more thing that I am reluctant to leave "as original" - what is called the "coat hanger" - a bent wire support for the harness. Although useful, I fear this could easily abraid the cloth covering and cause a short circuit - or even an electrical fire. I think I will wrap it in some fabric insulating tape.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray

Remember, the fuse is there to protect the wiring, so best practice is to use the lowest possible value, and certainly never have a fuse that exceeds the cable max load.

Cheers

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dave. I think that is what I said. Originally there were just two 35 amp fuses which were practically useless. I have read about several fires which could have been prevented with better protection.

One area that I have been giving close attention to is the proximity of the choke cable attachment under the carb to the starter switch terminals. I have improved it a bit but I will be fitting rubber insulation "boots" to the switch terminals and making sure that the cable cannot ever make contact. That is probably the last place you want a fire risk!!!

Years ago,,, I remember a close shave with the '26 Dodge which has a remote brass greasing tube mounted under the floor near to the starter solenoid. On tightening what seemed like a loose fitting I brought the tube into contact with the permanent live cable. The grease tube quickly heated up, releasing molten grease that caught fire. I rapidly disconnected the battery and put out the fire with the extinguisher but it wasn't until I lifted the floor board that I realised what had happened. I did away with the remote grease tube after that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 22 of 63

Jump to: