classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1953 Volvo PV444
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All Other Cars & Vehicles.
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will PM you the link. Just click on it and you will get a directory of files that you can open and download onto your own computer.
Let me know if you have any problems.
1990 Citroen 2CV
Boring Fiat 500X
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
I will PM you the link. Just click on it and you will get a directory of files that you can open and download onto your own computer.
Let me know if you have any problems.

All done, many thanks for putting those up. It was interesting to read about the Phillips radio in the Accessories publication. The radio in mine is that make, it isn't connected up but there's a power unit loose in the boot that I need to investigate, to see if it's the correct one for the head unit.

RJ
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome
Unfortunately I didn't have the document for the B4B engines, just the B16, but I think that the specs document tells you things like tappet clearances, timing, etc.
I think that you have a real gem there, a very good find indeed.
1990 Citroen 2CV
Boring Fiat 500X
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure how quick a starter it'd be, given the 6v electrics which need to be spot-on to work reliably. However, the engine starts on the first turn of the crank, and is amazingly quiet (perhaps the tappets are too tight!!?!?!). It seems very smooth anyway, even if it hasn't got the poke of the 544.

As mentioned, clipped to the sunvisor was a leather licence and tax "disc" holder, displaying a "disc" for 1963. What I hadn't realised was that behind that disc were later examples running up to 1972, which was a neat find. Next is to research the circular stamps on them, to identify the area it lived in those days.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, the town name on the discs is Själevad, which is quite a long way up the country, well north of Stockholm.

I'd like to find out which Volvo dealers were in that area at the time! Of course it may have been originally sold elsewhere, before moving to this town.

RJ
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a registration number on the last disc.
CAT 792 is a typical Swedish number plate configuration of the time.

From memory, you could online search the Swedish equivalent of DVLA for a registration number. Of course with European legislation, that may no longer be the case.
1990 Citroen 2CV
Boring Fiat 500X
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 444 came from Salstad near Trollhattan and was bought new by a lady called Anna Larsson. Unfortunately it went into storage in a barn before the Swedish Government put all registrations onto computer, and so was 'lost' as far as the registration system was concerned.
1990 Citroen 2CV
Boring Fiat 500X

Last edited by norustplease on Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Looks like you have a registration number on the last disc.
CAT 792 is a typical Swedish number plate configuration of the time.

From memory, you could online search the Swedish equivalent of DVLA for a registration number. Of course with European legislation, that may no longer be the case.

Any ideas what the 11802 might refer to, which is consistently referred to on all of the discs, if it wasn't the car's reg. no.? The reference to CAT only appears on the latest of them.

RJ
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. The number looks as if it is printed separately onto a blank tax disc (its alignment varies as if it has been fed through a printer) so it might be some kind of code from the issuing office, or is it the vehicle VIN? Interestingly, the 73 disc appears to be the only one with a registration number on it.
1990 Citroen 2CV
Boring Fiat 500X
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took the PV to a local meet in Audlem today, as predicted the weather was pretty terrible for the entire duration of our trip out. Still, it was a good test of the car in damp horrible conditions but I'm not sorry to be back home now, fire on, warming up.

One plus of going today was speaking to someone who thinks that he might know of a poorly PV on a farm, that might be available .... I gave him my number, just in case it's still there and still available, it was about 12 months ago that he spotted it.

RJ
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Your Volvo looks in very good shape and quite a rare car in the UK. Very strange about the LHD. Were Volvo rather far sighted or possibly interested in the export market. Were RHD versions of your car available as an option?

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Rick,

Your Volvo looks in very good shape and quite a rare car in the UK. Very strange about the LHD. Were Volvo rather far sighted or possibly interested in the export market. Were RHD versions of your car available as an option?

Peter

PVs were never sold officially in the UK, so I doubt they ever produced them in RHD, just LHD. This one came from Sweden at some point in the past, as a personal import.

RJ
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
From https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/history/driving_on_right.shtml
Quote:
Why were pre-1967 Volvos left hand drive?
Comes the question why Volvos were offered with left-hand drive in Sweden during the days of left-hand traffic. Let us quote Volvo president Assar Gabrielsson from chapter 74 of his sales handbook, dated 1936:
"When automobiles first appeared in Sweden, roads were narrow and twisting. It was very difficult to pass a horse and cart or another car, and you really had to concentrate on the left shoulder of the road. American cars were always delivered with their steering wheels on the left side, and for such a small market as Sweden they were reluctant to change their cars to right-hand drive. Consequently, salesmen of American cars in Sweden often exaggerated the importance of the left shoulder. Through this, the Swedish people has become used to have the steering wheel on the left side, in spite of Sweden having left-hand traffic. In most other countries, the steering wheel is located at the right side when the traffic is left-hand, or at the left when traffic is right-hand. We at Volvo are fully convinced that taking the road standard into consideration, the left shoulder is of little or no importance. It is much more important to have a clear view of the road ahead when overtaking. Therefore, the most logic thing would be that Volvos were made with right-hand drive. In spite of this, we have kept left-hand drive because we do not feel that we have to be pioneers in this area.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! Back in the early 1970s I did some touring in Norway with a RHD car and certainly it was still possible to overtake slower vehicles when you got a good view down the near side. I guess drivers of LHD cars before 1967 would be doing the same thing.

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 444 was pressed into service for yesterday's local pub meet.

One interesting niggle that emerged last Sunday, during our very wet outing, is that the electric wipers occasionally are reluctant to switch off. They're designed to self-park as standard (very swish), but when you switch off, the wipers park back down at the bottom of the screen correctly, but sometimes pause momentarily, then sweep back up the screen again. It can take 3 or 4 goes for them to park, and stay parked.

I assume there's a gremlin within the park mechanism in the motor, although I guess that there may also be a glitch inside the switch. I might try a different switch and see what happens, before delving into the motor, assuming I can even get to it easily...

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All Other Cars & Vehicles. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: