classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Positive to negative earth pros and cons?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
The petrol gauge will either work properly or not at all. This applies to most but some may work back to front.

If there are any modern "solid-state" components they may well be ruined

Yes indeed. I would like to know how I could identify any solid state components... and if they are present how to circumvent them with something more traditional. I would much prefer not to be wise after the event. Shocked
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As regards SU fuel pumps, I seem to get a call during every Le Mans Classic for Jaguar spares, and the SU pump is almost a given. People take my spare one and order me a replacement. It's interesting to note that the latest has dual polarity. Solid state and automatically detects + or - earth.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age of the component is the starting point to identify solid-state stuff.

Then look inside to see what capacitors, resistors, transistors chips and diodes. The smaller these are the less likely it will dual polarity and also if it sealed/encapsulated.

Diodes can often be quickly reversed if big enough.

After that it becomes more complicated. Electronic stuff degrades anyway after 20-30 years and solder joints decay
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eventually contacted the supplier ETB instruments of Southend on Sea and asked them. Their advise was that there were no solid state components in the sender unit and I should have no problems regarding polarity so long as I remembered to transpose the earth to positive when following the fitting instructions.

I have also heard that the Tripple M cars will use this type of dip tube sender.

I have bought a new petrol cap that I can use to disguise the top - in other words - a dummy cap - that makes it look like I have a twin filler tank.

Quite sporting, I thought.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: