classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How does this light fit ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: How does this light fit ? Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Vintage-Car-Dash-Blue-Main-Beam-Warning-Light-Chrome-Bezel-38081a-WL3/273135326249?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dd81ba46fee1a48f1bf51e5479c777b9f%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D142412667376%26itm%3D273135326249%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A9070ee8f-0190-11ea-ad60-74dbd180ca35%7Cparentrq%3A473b500a16e0a9c94ed6eda0ffed2c44%7Ciid%3A1

I have been looking to fit some authentic dashboard warning lights but they are not just expensive; they have some kind of spring and what looks like fine wire on the back.

I would welcome some advice before shelling out!
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
It looks as if the bezel unscrews, the end then pokes through the panel and it is then screwed back on to hold it in place.
The question is how thick a panel will it fit through and can you put a plastic sleeve over that copper winding which is probably a resistance wire?
The sleeve might not be needed if it is tucked well away from anything that might knock against it.
The other winding (silvery colour) is probably a resistance spring to screw it against thus allowing for different thicknesses of panel.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Penman. I wondered if the coil spring is also an earth? If that is the case, the dash being 3/8" plywoodwood - and positive ground - perhaps there are problems with fitting.?
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,
The plastic body is the size of the dash hole and is held on by the large spring which has a retaining ring. It really is meant for sheet metal dashes. The thin winding is to reduce the voltage from 6/12 volt so that a 2.5 volt bulb could be used (popular for use in hand torches). The bezel unscrews to gain access to the bulb only. To use on a wooden dash I suppose you could remove the spring and retainer and glue it into the hole. From memory the screw on the lug is the earth and the brass nut is the feed.

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Art. I had my suspicions that it was for a metal dash but couldn't be sure. You are right, I believe, about the connections and the resistance.

I am still wondering if these lights are polarity sensitive? I suppose it doesn't care which way the current flows.?
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

If it's using a filament bulb then there is no polarity issue. If you fitted an LED in it then polarity would matter.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Ray,

If it's using a filament bulb then there is no polarity issue. If you fitted an LED in it then polarity would matter.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

This is why I need you guys to keep me on the straight and narrow.!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are looking at is a repro of the Lucas WL3 lamp. On some of the repro's the coil is just for show.....

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I have bought a few repro items from this site before and have been surprisingly pleased with the quality. Sometimes they don't get things absolutely correct but from my point of view if it looks good and works as it should then I will fit it. If the spring can be removed it would give me more room for fitting so that might be a bonus.

I will be altering the layout of the dash panel to make it more symmetrical which will mean moving the ignition warning light to the wooden part of the dash. I shall also be adding other warning lights and dials but I will be keeping the correct design if possible.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sell the repro warning lamps in the MR and they are indistinguishable from the originals, including the fittings. A red WL3 is found on most if not all pre war Morris's as the ignition warning lamp. Fitted with (I think) green lens they were also used by Jaguar and MG as a low fuel warning lamps

As warning lamps don't fail safe, Lucas fitted the resistance coil, this has 2 benefits:

1)It limits the current to the bulb-extends bulb life
2) They could fit a low voltage bulb; low voltage bulbs have more robust filaments-again extends bulb life.

They were fitted as standard to the Morris 8 SE, this has a bakelite dash; thicker than sheet steel.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
We sell the repro warning lamps in the MR and they are indistinguishable from the originals, including the fittings. A red WL3 is found on most if not all pre war Morris's as the ignition warning lamp. Fitted with (I think) green lens they were also used by Jaguar and MG as a low fuel warning lamps

As warning lamps don't fail safe, Lucas fitted the resistance coil, this has 2 benefits:

2) They could fit a low voltage bulb; low voltage bulbs have more robust filaments-again extends bulb life.

They were fitted as standard to the Morris 8 SE, this has a bakelite dash; thicker than sheet steel.

Dave

I wonder if the warning lights (red green and blue) available through the Octagon Car Club Spares scheme are the same? I will enquire.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

I wonder if the warning lights (red green and blue) available through the Octagon Car Club Spares scheme are the same? I will enquire.

I'll bet they will be, if you speak to Pete Moore down there he will know, the Octagon club spares is really well organised with a great selection of parts.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I have bought hundreds of pounds worth of spares from Octagon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: