classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Classic prices
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Colin916

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Classic prices Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed the gulf between what people"ask" for their cars when trying to sell, and the final prices achieved on eBay?
I've never known such a topsy turvy market.
I can't believe the optimistic prices some folks put on their cars.
All I can suggest is that any would be buyers should get haggling.
It seems a Peugeot 309 is worth about £12k apparently, and a 1996 Fiesta 1.1 Pop is £5k!!!!!!
It's interesting to note the massive gap between the buy it now price and the final bid. Literally thousands of pounds.
I'm looking for a new project, but will wait until one comes up on an auction.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market is not as buoyant as many sellers think. I was interested in a local Peugeot 201 (1931) that was for sale at a local garage. No marked price, so I asked, and was told they wanted £9,000 for it. Had they suggested around £5,000 I would have been tempted, but at that price I just walked away. Three months later I saw they had put it into auction (I think it was Anglia Auctions) and it eventually sold for £3,200 including buyers premium. That means the seller didn't get much over £2,000 for it!

A friend recently bought a very nice Bentley Mk6 which had been on the market for eighteen months at £30,000; he paid £25,000 for it.

Moral of the story: if you are interested in a car, make the seller an offer that you are happy with, regardless of his asking price. You just never know ...
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
As far as eBay is concerned i have always assumed that a "Buy it now" price is a seller taking a punt on finding a "must have it" buyer, and is way over any reserve.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing that gets me most at the moment with car prices and ebay etc is the amount that I see selling at auctions and then in a week or so are then listed on ebay at often twice the selling price.

To me the car is worth what was paid at auction, if it were worth double that the bidding would have continued.
alanb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with auctions is it depends so much on who is there at the time, I seen cars at auction not meet the reserve price one week then three weeks later fetch almost double the same reserve price.

Morris 8 two seater
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are worth what someone will pay on the day, and with auctions it all comes down to who knows about the sale(s) and is available to place a bid on the day, or leave a bid in advance on.

Some of the advertised prices for many cars are on the optimistic/opportunistic/silly side though. Did I see a Wolseley 1500 up for around £15k the other day?

A car has to have a strong USP to get top £, it must be immaculate, be delivery mileage only, be an amazingly rare un-touched barn find, or have impeccable and impressive documented history. Anything else not quite meeting the mark in these respects will sell for significantly less, IMO.

As MikeC says, fixed asking prices are just a starting point and a cheeky low-ball offer could just see a car bought, irrespective of the "screen" price.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years back my 1947 Minx was on ebay, it was on at a very silly price. Not surprisingly it did not sell, a few messages and phone calls later the chap sold her to me for a third of what he was asking.

It turned out he had it advertised at a price to clear a debt not thinking about what the car was actually worth.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example regards auctions we were told about a little Fordson 7V truck recently and it sold for £2600 at auction.

Within a week it was listed on carandclassic at £6k and now its also on ebay for £5k.

Its simply someone trying to make money quickly and to be honest the truck is nice but needs work and is at best worth around the £3k mark paid at auction.

My point was mainly that this sort of thing is happening more and more with ebay the usual outlet.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
For example regards auctions we were told about a little Fordson 7V truck recently and it sold for £2600 at auction.

Within a week it was listed on carandclassic at £6k and now its also on ebay for £5k.

I imagine that at least some of this is down to the likes of Salvage Hunters and the other more car-oriented programmes on the TV. People see a TV "expert" go out, find something for a bargain price, give it a quick clean up and flog it for a big profit and think "I can do that", without considering how much of it is set up for the cameras.

Good luck to people trying it, of course, but it's not as simple. OK, sometimes there are bargains to be dropped on, but they are few and far between.
HealeyV8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times the price is not a "chancer" but based on how much the owner has invested in the car and restoring it, and as we all know you don't really ever re-coup that.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HealeyV8 wrote:
Some times the price is not a "chancer" but based on how much the owner has invested in the car and restoring it, and as we all know you don't really ever re-coup that.

Welcome to the forum!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
gillberry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a auction house near us and like to check in on what things have sold for then normally a few days later a local classic car dealer hasn’t the same car using the same pics for sale a few thousand more than the final sale price. We know they need to make a living but it does not take much time to look back on sale prices
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:
We have a auction house near us and like to check in on what things have sold for then normally a few days later a local classic car dealer hasn’t the same car using the same pics for sale a few thousand more than the final sale price. We know they need to make a living but it does not take much time to look back on sale prices

I know a classic car dealer who has been around for many years. He often won't buy a car unless he can re sell for double what he paid for it. It can take months but some dealers prefer to play the long game. I expect there is always someone who will pay over the odds for a car if they want it enough?

I wonder who I might be thinking about??

Oh yes....that's me! Shocked
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I was with a friend in his brother in laws antique shop, and we were looking at a WW1 cavalry sword and commenting on the price, his brother in law said " I know, I paid too much for it, but still if I was daft enough to pay that much then there's someone out there daft enough to pay more"

Morris 8 two seater
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this happens but it really does annoy me!?!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr-bg/49077051756/in/photolist-2hLLHEL-2hLCK6n-2hLCK1H-2hLCJWQ-2hLCJSg-2hLCJMw-2hLCJDL-2hLA37p-2hLDNx1-2hLCJkQ-2hLA2Nt-2hLDNhb-2hLDNbe-2hLDN6u-2hLm4WT-2hLn8zP-2hLinDu-2hLn8tB-2hLinwk-2hLintp-2hLnPRj-2hLnPMS-2hLoTwK-2hLk8mc-2hLk8ir-2hLnPyR-2hLoThr-2hLnPsy-2hLn8hQ-2hLm4yt-2hLn8cj-2hLn89P-QGK1v6-BTDjJn-BQxqq9-xgva4a-jBQSYN-a5QwY2-a5QwkV-9VoxJf-9Voxkd-9Vox3E-9VowFw-9VkG3r-9Vo44A-9Vo3RE-MENQ5K-2adpVTS-L6WK16-ZK6UVk

Now for sale on ebay....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930-s-1937-flathead-V8-Ford-breakdown-recovery-barn-find/174174655861?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: