classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

10 years ago ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: 10 years ago ... Reply with quote

Hi all

So, another decade is upon us. Does anyone remember what old vehicle(s) they were tending to back in 2010?

Here at OCC HQ, I know that big Dodge was still away being sorted out, and that it was looking like this in Jan/Feb 2010:

The Standard 10 Companion was my classic runabout

Our '59 Cambridge, owned since early 2008, was nearing the end of its time with us.

The A40 and '32 Minor were tucked away, just as they are now.

The black A40 Devon, owned since 2005, would also go to a new home later in 2010.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! 2010 I was sort of between cars; I had just sold the Lancia Appia and the Volvo 480, and I had yet to buy the Morris Cowley and the Saxon, so all I had was my 'daily' in the form of a Rover Stering:

That photo was actually taken on 1st January 2010, so exactly ten years ago.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years ago I was just starting out on the restoration of our 1950 Commer lorry, she is only just about finished now bar some teething trouble.

We have just started sorting various boxes of Gardner engine parts for our 1946 ERF, lets hope that doesn't take me another 10 years!?!
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the same one (photo taken in March 2010)

Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One particular vehicle that I have fond memories of was my Triumph GT6 Mk111. It was still being tended to in 2010 but a gift of a 1926 Dodge Brothers Tourer was on the horizon and my faithful little pocket rocket was soon to be moved on after more than 30 years of ownership.

'Mellow Yellow' was rebuilt twice in my ownership but still retained it's original engine (although somewhat warmed over!) and is I am sure is now giving another owner complete satisfaction.

Apart from cabin heat in the Summer, these cars had surprisingly few vices - although the overdrive solenoid was one of them. The difficulty in accessing it will be an enduring memory.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just recovering from having bought a new ABS accumulator unit for the Range Rover LSE. Sadly that car has now gone to rust in peace. That was the biggest bill for that car, which cost under £10k, including purchase price, over ten years ownership. i do now wish I'd kept it and spent the £6k I was quoted for welding repairs, as it was a superb car.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
I was just recovering from having bought a new ABS accumulator unit for the Range Rover LSE. Sadly that car has now gone to rust in peace. That was the biggest bill for that car, which cost under £10k, including purchase price, over ten years ownership. i do now wish I'd kept it and spent the £6k I was quoted for welding repairs, as it was a superb car.

Did you try refilling the original black dome with brake fluid and refitting.. tightly.?
That usually does the trick.
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 Years ago, although it was December 2010 i believe, i had just collected my next profect from the south of France....

alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Morgan 4/4 4 seater series 1 [1939] I had more than 10 years ago...and passed on around the time of the 3rd divorce.....has been shown at the NEC this year....looking very 'different' to when I had it.
Oddly [for shiny old cars] it is used almost as a daily driver, and certainly enters competitive events of the dirty boot type.....[rather than the shiny gentle, but with huge bumper signs, type of event classic motors seems to inhabit these days?}
CAn't post a photo as I no longer have a hosting account.
But maybe a reader went to the NEC and saw it?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: