classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Letting a Classic go....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Letting a Classic go.... Reply with quote

Well, this morning a couple of very nice chaps from Sussex visited the yard to look at our Karrier that is for sale. After all the timewasters they were not what we expected.

Long story short after a very thorough examination by them and a good chat we negotiated a good price for both parties.

Its always sad to let anything go, we have had her for 15 years now, but circumstances change and life moves on. Our main aim was to let her go to someone genuine who will restore her not simply slap her on ebay etc, I think we found the right people.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling a car to someone who will care for the car makes it easier.
Two or three years ago I sold a 1961 Hillman Minx to someone who since then successfully upgraded its condition to be better. Good to see that. I sold him the car for a low price, lower than someone else offered me but I wanted the car to go to an enthusiast. Only a handful of these Minxes have survived in the Netherlands.
gillberry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always sad to let one go. I wish I had not let my Firenza go but not sad to see the back of my sceptre. The only thing is one day we must get round to sorting out all the sheds and garages to see what spares are still lurking
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lorry is still sat in the shed, all paid for but the buyer is finding it difficult to get transport.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
The lorry is still sat in the shed, all paid for but the buyer is finding it difficult to get transport.

When I needed to have the Commer shifted, I put the job up on Shiply (or Anyvan, I forget which) and found someone thattaway.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap has rang round a few of his contacts and some I have suggested, trouble is he has a figure in mind that he wants to pay and they are all coming in above that.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75, perhaps you should mention to your buyer that you are considering charging him storage fees...............

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have bought a few lorries now and before we go and look at one I always have in mind its transport and storage if/when I buy it.

I look round and contact people we know to rough up costs.

In the case of selling this lorry though almost everyone who has looked at it then ask the question, how do I get it home?

Surely if you are serious about buying something, especially as big as a lorry you would think a bit further ahead.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Letting it go" is one thing, "Getting rid of it" another. A friend here has bought his first house, and in the garage is a Fiat 850. He keeps contacting the owner but it's a year now and he doesn't know what to do about it. He has no title so can't sell it, and anyway he doesn't own it.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
"Letting it go" is one thing, "Getting rid of it" another. A friend here has bought his first house, and in the garage is a Fiat 850. He keeps contacting the owner but it's a year now and he doesn't know what to do about it. He has no title so can't sell it, and anyway he doesn't own it.

Couldn't he hit the owner with a big bill for storage? If it's not paid sell the car to cover the costs
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:

Will the Fiat owner not hand over the paperwork?

lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in France the law seems somewhat complicated. We are not sure who actually owns the car, and we think the old homeowner was storing it for someone else. He is rather old and vague sadly. So we can't get title and re-register it, and for the moment it just sits on flat tyres. I reckon the car hasn't moved in 20 years at least. I'm sure we'll get there in the end, but as the new ower of the house is more occupied with rebuilding the dilapidated house it isn't pressing for the moment.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read I think it's the UK system that's unusual in that the law doesn't really care who owns the vehicle, so long as there's a contact to send the fines to.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
From what I've read I think it's the UK system that's unusual in that the law doesn't really care who owns the vehicle, so long as there's a contact to send the fines to.

Indeed.
''Ownership'' really only comes to the fore [in the UK] in issues like bankruptcy....where the Insolvency service really pushes the advice that the 'Registered Keeper' is not necessarily the 'owner'.
This being an important aspect when it comes to realising assets.
This aspect can cause a lot of grief and gnashing of teeth when someone who petitioned for Bankruptcy [or had a petition taken out].....is seen later driving down to the shops in a Bentley[or other new car]?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would you proof you ARE the owner of a car?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: