classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Re-discoveries
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re-discoveries Reply with quote

I've been going through a few old boxes of oddments that have accumulated over time, and hadn't been looked in for around 15-20 years or so.

I was pleased to find all my old school diaries (secondary school), and a personal diary from early 1983 that records, amongst other things, the day that the NASA 747 flew into Manchester Airport with the Shuttle on its back.

Best find of all was re-discovering the appointment card for my driving test in December 1987, which was held in and around Didsbury at the wheel of the family A40.

Have you found any old gems like this, lurking forgotten about in old family cases or boxes? Fortunately I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to ephemera such as this, so it's fun to re-visit these ancient times prompted by such (re-)discoveries.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found two of my old red 3-yr driving licences the other day, and I am currently going through hordes of family photos trying to classify them for the next generation. Oh, and a photo of myself age 14 in 1960 with Mum's Moggie!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, most of my current rediscoveries are in the shape of trying to find paperwork for a HMRC self-assessment check. Once that's done, I have to find a whole different set for the next self-assessment to be done.

While I know I have loads of older stuff, unfortunately it's kept from view by the hoards of newer stuff that I also find it difficult to throw out, so it will remain hidden for some time.

Over Christmas I made the mistake of watching one of those TV programmes about hoarding, and while it did prompt me to have a better go at getting rid of some things, it also allowed me to congratulate myself on not being anywhere near as bad as anyone in the programme.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Sadly, most of my current rediscoveries are in the shape of trying to find paperwork for a HMRC self-assessment check. Once that's done, I have to find a whole different set for the next self-assessment to be done.

While I know I have loads of older stuff, unfortunately it's kept from view by the hoards of newer stuff that I also find it difficult to throw out, so it will remain hidden for some time.

Over Christmas I made the mistake of watching one of those TV programmes about hoarding, and while it did prompt me to have a better go at getting rid of some things, it also allowed me to congratulate myself on not being anywhere near as bad as anyone in the programme.

My take is that proper hoarding is not being able to throw anything away, or recognise when something is purely rubbish with no value/interest whatsoever, yet still being unable to part with it. I'm a long way from that fortunately, so I rest easy with my current accumulating habits.

Helping to clear a family member's home a few years ago, which was rammed full of junk, was a pretty sobering experience.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Billf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has her Red driving licence. Don't know how it survived all the moves we have made.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a hoarder, needless to say I have all my old red covered driving licences and also the yellow covered one that holds my provisional. I also have some of my mother's red licences.

I don't have any documents for my two wheelers or Isetta bubble car but I do have the receipt from the person that I bought my first 4 wheeled car from.

The Minor was probably the worst car I've ever owned and certainly not a bargain but a few years later I bought a very nice Rapier for £50. Chalk and cheese. https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/sunbeamrapier.htm

Peter

Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showing my ignorance here, but can anyone enlighten me as to the purpose of signing across a postage stamp like that? Why did people do it - and I've seen enough examples to know it was once common enough - and when did people stop doing it? Someone on the forum must know... Smile
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the answer but it was necessary for a document to have legal status.

https://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Business-and-Finance/Question527914.html

It wasn't abolished until 1970.

Peter
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still got my original learner licence from 1956 buff colour, bfg learners one when in Germany doing N/S and paper when i passed test.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Australia, certainly in Victoria, there was a small tax when writing a receipt. It was only a penny or two, but the money so collected was for State coffers rather than Federal ones. States produced what appeared to be postage stamps, but in fact were tax stamps. Perhaps Britain used some similar taxing device.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen. That also explains why some old British stamps are marked "postage and revenue" - not that I'm a collector or anything but I like to know this stuff.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably of little interest to you, Bitumen, but many many years ago the Australian Taxation Office issued stamps that could be purchased at a Post office. If someone only had one or two employees, the easiest way to pay their income tax, which was deducted from wages, was to affix tax stamps to a sheet as deductions were made. At the end of the financial year, the employee would submit the sheet with the stamps to prove that his income tax had been paid.

It is possible that similar taxation payments could have occurred in other places.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
When I first went self employed, back in the mid '70s, National Insurance was paid by buying special stamps and sticking them on a bit of card.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
misterbridger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people still refer to "paying their stamp" when talking about NI.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes perfect sense, really, when you think back to an age before computers and technology. It was simple and avoided people being chased for big bills so long as they remembered to keep buying the stamps - indeed the basic idea lasted until quite recently in the form of the savings stamps schemes operated by some UK supermarkets. They only ended when someone figured out that it was really quite easy to forge the stamps and get free groceries... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: