classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

E10 petrol, and the 'end' of red diesel?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: E10 petrol, and the 'end' of red diesel? Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51731757

E10 as standard, going out to consultation. It is to be hoped the large Parliamentary classic car lobby has some influence.....since there is some doubt as to how to proof our old motors against the onset of E10?
Chancellor also announced , for next budget, red diesel is losing its duty exemption....

That'll free up HMRC officials for other duties, surely? Will it see the end of the roadside checks?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder what will happen to our classic and vintage vehicles when petrol / diesel is no longer an option, will they simply become static museum pieces?
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I often wonder what will happen to our classic and vintage vehicles when petrol / diesel is no longer an option, will they simply become static museum pieces?

I think that will be well beyond both our lifetimes?

Probably be able to run our oldies on compact flux capacitors?
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ever way you cut it, this is a retrograde step for drivers who use petrol. There is plenty of evidence that ethanol has a damaging effect on most vehicles built in the 20th century. Putting that aside, the shelf life of ethanol petrol is going to be even shorter.

There is an excellent series of articles by Paul Ireland published in the MG. TT2 on line magazine.

http://ttypes.org/ttt2/?s=modern+petrol&submit=Search
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
At work I have seen many moderns which only have E5 on the sticker by there filler caps.

What about them?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
At work I have seen many moderns which only have E5 on the sticker by there filler caps.

What about them?

The idea is to get them off the road and force people to buy new motors...

I suspect the "consultation" will be no more than an attempt to legitimise a decision that has already been taken - business as usual, in other words.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way that electric cars can succeed is if the trend is customer led.

History is littered with supply driven failures.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way that electric cars could really succeed - if success may be defined as being fully practical in the way that petrol and diesel vehicles currently are and have been for many years - is if they were powered by universal battery packs that could be easily and quickly swapped over for fully charged ones. Like power tools, in other words, but properly planned so that the packs were genuinely universal. Politicians seem to be ignoring several elephants in quite a small room in their current push for electric cars - how are people with no parking at home meant to charge them, how is enough electricity to do so going to be generated and supplied through the grid, the fact that "fast charging" negatively impacts on battery life, etc, etc, etc...

Otherwise, we're still waiting for hydrogen technology to catch up... One day it will and this generation of politicians are going to look rather silly, but by then it could be too late.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the powers-that-be really care about whether anyone can charge their cars or not.
The issue is far too vast to contemplate.
We have entered an age where[car-wise] if one has the money, and one has the factities, one can own a car. If one has not..then tough, use the train..or walk?

Politicians dare not price us off the roads.....but they can make all the right noises, to satisfy the various vested interests...but,like employment, the reality does not bear thinking about so should be ignored...if enough of the right noises are made, via media, social or otherwise, then a lot of folk who 'can', will ignore the plight of those folk who 'cannot'..

In regard to ethanol?

Whilst the government is in consultations regarding establishing E10 as the 'standard' petrol, there is a suggestion that E5 [current] petrol could become the 'super' petrol....distributed accordingly.

Which opens the doors wide, for the unscrupulous [IE, couldn't care less?]. industry to increase the price of 'our' petrol exponentially?

After all, if we can all afford £50,000 classic automobiles [we don't have anything less in their eyes...our own faults really, for trumpeting 'values' over 'enthusiasm?'] then we can afford 3 or 4 pounds a gallon of 'old' petrol.......I mean, we only travel 50 miles a year, don't we? [Not!]

So, being zero VED, and zero MoT costs, will man nothing if simply to fill up means a huge bank loan?

Or....has anybody any suggestions as to how we can make our old cars ethanol proof?
Will it be viable to remove the ethanol? On a garden shed basis?

Or do we need to change our ''housekeeping'' to allow our old Ford Pops to cope?
HealeyV8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I've seen it's only older rubber components that suffer.
Surely those of us who look after our cars have renewed our rubber fuel lines in the last 15 years, so these should be OK. Those on carbs have probably also rebuilt with new rubber components in that period too.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HealeyV8 wrote:
Surely those of us who look after our cars have

IT also contains Oxygen - which weakens the mixture.

It is corrosive to steel petrol tanks and aluminium float chambers.

It absorbs water and can create a separate acidic layer underneath the petrol.

That's official.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HealeyV8 wrote:
Surely those of us who look after our cars have renewed our rubber fuel lines in the last 15 years, so these should be OK. Those on carbs have probably also rebuilt with new rubber components in that period too.

Only if you'e replaced them with E10 compliant rubber hose. The majority of hose available even ten years ago was not E10 resistant. As for rebuilt carbs, I would wagger the majority of classic cars have not had a major carb overhaul in the last ten years.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now read the Government's consultation document on the introduction of E10 fuel, I am a bit concerned about the validity of their investigations. According to the document, E10 is potentially damaging to cars built before around 2005-6, and these cars now account for less than 3% of all cars on the road, and this will have dropped to about 1% by the time regulations take effect. Where did they come up with these figures, the Palace of Westminster car park?

I've just done a quick survey in the local supermarket car park, and out of 76 cars checked, 43 were 2005 or older! That's something like 56% of the total number; by eliminating identifiable diesel cars, then numbers became 32 out of 68 (some I couldn't identify as petrol or diesel) - that's still nearly 50%. Now admittedly that was a daytime mid-week check, so the majority may well have been family second cars whilst the majority of 'first' cars in the family may well be newer, but that's still going to be far more than 3% of the total.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the worst comes to the worst and petrol is unavailable, then we will have to convert to a LPG ...simple and imho the better comprise...electric conversions are a non starter for me.

Or brew our own fuel !

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
Where did they come up with these figures, the Palace of Westminster car park?

You'd like to think that, being government, they might have phoned the DVLA up and said "hey, just type this simple query into your database of registered vehicles" and used the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: