classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

E10 petrol, and the 'end' of red diesel?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
If the worst comes to the worst and petrol is unavailable, then we will have to convert to a LPG ...simple and imho the better comprise...electric conversions are a non starter for me.

Or brew our own fuel !

Dave

YES!! It beats me why LPG is being ignored. The emissions are negligible and the system is reliable.

There are fewer conversions these days and consequently fewer outlets. My P38 runs very sweetly on LPG; better than it ever did on petrol and has saved me a fortune on fuel over the years. In fact I am reluctant to change the car despite various electronic gremlins that always crop up as these modern things age.

My Range Rover is now 20 years old (and most of the milage is what I have put on it) yet there is no sign whatever of the predicted exhaust valve degradation as the compressions are still perfect.

I think you are right on the money Dave. Ideally, the Government should be making allowances for older cars and if they don't want us to use modern petrol then a switch to LPG would be a better option than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Some cars - especially small ones like the Austin Seven - would not have the space to fit a standard LPG tank so the existing petrol tank would need to be replaced by a specially made pressurised LPG tank. Not what any of us would choose but it makes more sense than destroying our motoring heritage.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a car running lpg, but it does need petrol to start it; a couple of gallons lasts us about six months, so I have been a bit concerned about the petrol going stale - I suspect E10 will add to my concerns ...
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
We have a car running lpg, but it does need petrol to start it; a couple of gallons lasts us about six months, so I have been a bit concerned about the petrol going stale - I suspect E10 will add to my concerns ...

Mike. Do you know if it is still possible to get a conversion that doesn't require petrol to start?
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first RR on LPG had an override switch which by-passed the petrol system, and started quite happily on gas whatever the weather. I can't remember whose system it was though.
My current V8 starts on petrol but changes over within seconds, often before I've fastened my seat belt.
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned three Triumphs saloons (Mk1 2000, Mk2 2000 and Mk2 2500) which ran very happily on LPG, always started on LPG. Still have the Mk1 tucked away.
My 420 Jag runs on LPG since I got it, 13 years ago. Also starts on LPG.
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run several vehicles on LPG and none of them ever needed petrol in the tank. They started easily and ran perfectly on LPG the whole time.

I would not hesitate running a car on LPG if the installation costs were a lot less. At one stage our State and Federal Governments offered grants to convert our cars and consequently my car and my wife's were converted free of charge. (Both Mitsubishi Magnas) Gas was about half the price of petrol and the economy was almost as good, even when I was pulling a caravan with my Jeep on LPG.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run LPG cars for a few years too, my understanding is that it helps the (petrol) fuel pump, and the valves, if you run on petrol from time to time - although a supplementary valve lubrication add-on would help with the latter.

Converting existing petrol (only) cars to also run on LPG makes perfect sense to me, but the network of stations selling LPG would need to pull its socks up.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in France we have had E5 and E10 95RON pumps for some time, plus E5 97 octane. So many cars can't run on E10 it seems. On the thorny subject of classics, the only way to avoid problems is rebuilding the fuel system. I have received a photo from a friend (he services and races classic racing machinery) of a plastic tank he installed in a car recently. The E10 had eaten right through the plastic tank in one day. He has advised me that the best way to combat the problem is a product called Tetraboost - http://tetraboost.com/ - and that will sort the problem out. I've had no problem with the E-type on E5 (the XKSS needs 97) but the future without additives is looking rather bleak. Hope this helps.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am heartened by the fact that quite a few (possibly the majority?) of us classic car owners run vehicles on LPG. We probably give much more thought to motoring matters in general than Jo Public does so from now on I'm calling it "the thinking man's fuel choice".

I believe if push comes to a shove then it is the way to go rather than trying to fit in with this "all electric" agenda.

I just hope the FBHVC thinks the same way. The Government usually listens to them.

As far as E10 petrol is concerned; I think we will just have to learn to live with it and adapt parts as necessary.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Here in France we have had E5 and E10 95RON pumps for some time, plus E5 97 octane. So many cars can't run on E10 it seems. On the thorny subject of classics, the only way to avoid problems is rebuilding the fuel system. I have received a photo from a friend (he services and races classic racing machinery) of a plastic tank he installed in a car recently. The E10 had eaten right through the plastic tank in one day. He has advised me that the best way to combat the problem is a product called Tetraboost - http://tetraboost.com/ - and that will sort the problem out. I've had no problem with the E-type on E5 (the XKSS needs 97) but the future without additives is looking rather bleak. Hope this helps.

My Herald doesn't see a lot of use these days, and I was having problems with fuel going stale and causing poor running when I did manage to get it out on the road. I tried using Tetraboost as a preservative more than anything else -already have hardened valve seats - after reading all the tales of how alcohol-blended fuels didn't cause any issues "back in the day". I'm no scientist but from practical observation I'd say it's doing the job, no running issues even after some long layups. But, mind you, I don't know how much ethanol may have been in the base fuel as the pumps round here have only been labelled E5 within the last few months, so time may tell yet.
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the problem with petrol going stale is the ethanol evaporates quicker than the other components that make up petrol thereby leaving what was known as pool petrol, a very low octane poor quality fuel.

Morris 8 two seater
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else, I've used E5 for years in the E-type and evan after a long winter she has started first time and I have never had any prooblem with the running of the car. I tend to run it low then add about 25 litres before wintering so the petrol is reasonbly fresh in the spring it must be said, but this year - first press of the button. What will happen with E10 is another matter.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't 'touched' my old trialling skoda rapid for nearly 10 years...[it sat in a field whilst I sorted my 'life' out]....It was a freebie, so did not owe me anything and was highly modified for trialling anyway..however...when I finally decided I didn't need to pay the farmer for using his field any more, I took the Skoda to be weighed in...but beforehand I drained the fuel tank...about 25 litres of petrol, very sweetly pungent it was....didn't dare try it in my runners, so ended up giving half to a mate for cleaning purposes...and putting the other half in my Daihatsu fourtrak!
[Good old Fourtrak, runs on most anything that might conceivably go 'bang'....gin vodka petrol, occasionally real diesel] Smile Smile
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: