classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Update on classic car use during lockdown
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Update on classic car use during lockdown Reply with quote

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As does pushing it home following a "failure to proceed" moment.
Smile
RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why mine are staying at home. It is many years - thankfully - since I had an irreparable breakdown on the road (I think the last one was a dynamo failure at Briancon in 1996) but sod's law has a way of finding us out. Both cars start and run, but what if we venture out into the big wide world?
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Which is why mine are staying at home., but what if we venture out into the big wide world?

No greater risk [if maintained as they ought to be?] than with a new car.

Breakdown services will have to be well prepared, health-wise, anyway. If only to service the inevitable electronics failures of moderns?

After all, [in the UK, at least] we won't be driving our old vehicles simply [just?] for the fun of it?

When any car journey undertaken has to be an essential journey, after all?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Which is why mine are staying at home., but what if we venture out into the big wide world?

No greater risk {if maintained as they ought to be?} than with a new car.

Breakdown services will have to be well prepared, health-wise, anyway. If only to service the inevitable electronics failures of moderns? [Or the flat tyres?}

After all, [in the UK, at least] we won't be driving our old vehicles simply [just?] for the fun of it?

When any car journey undertaken has to be an essential journey, after all?
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have made a decision, based upon a limited pension income, and the expected time we remain under travel restrictions...namely around 6 months?
I have SORNed my 'daily driver'.....saving me around £24 per month in VED.

Insurance will be maintained, since it will cost me more than 2 months premiums in admin fees just to cancel.

My much reduced mileage really doesn't justify paying out, without getting 'value-for-money'....

Thus, for motorised transport, that leaves me with my two roadworthy [and legal] old vehicles...to be used as & when I need to sally forth for essential supplies, refreshed meds, etc.
After all, I see no regulation[or strong advice?] that I cannot actually enjoy the drives that I am compelled to make?

Much reduced traffic flows [around where I live, at any rate] means less 'risk' to my old vehicles, from others.

Since I live rurally, with a decent 12 mile round trip to the nearest supermarket, I should be able to give either or both a decent bit of exercise in the process.

But, I am aware that man folk live by 'perception'....and the sight of an auld fahrt driving along in a 69 year old sports car might appear to be, not in the spirit of the times......but, I care very little about perceptions.
Fact is, they will be used , for what the manufacturer intended......namely, transport.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: classical use Reply with quote

though ist tempting to use our cars as stuck in a lot. they will take a dim view on seeing anybody driving clearly a very old car about and using excuse doing essential shopping may not cut it with a court or police etc unless we can prove at that time it was ONLY transport available ( bus/taxi etc not possible)and was in fact being sued for essential travel eg picking up medication , supplying shopping to disabled etc . so be careful out there as some police forces and quite a few ordinary members of public can take a negative view. Have therefore already informed insurance company I will let insurance elapse ( ends in a week or so anyway) for 3 months. the being what at moment seem probable time frame many of us will be locked in. so barring veer very unfortunate issue with car and storage unit .. remote risk. I will save a bundle over 3 months and use that to but a new replacement rear silencer I need. so hopefully a win win situation rather than a lose lose one. Shocked
Minxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can imagine using an ‘old car’ to go shopping could potentially prove more trouble than it’s worth, one might as well have a flashing neon sign on the roof saying ’stop me and have a word’ not to mention the busy bodies who might take your number and dob you in. I shall not be using mine for some time I think, three months is, in my opinion, optimistic. I have resigned myself to perhaps not seeing the road in mine this year - I hope I’m wrong.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: classical use Reply with quote

Hi
Clactonguy wrote:
Have therefore already informed insurance company I will let insurance elapse ( ends in a week or so anyway) for 3 months. the being what at moment seem probable time frame many of us will be locked in. so barring veer very unfortunate issue with car and storage unit .. remote risk. I will save a bundle over 3 months and use that to

I trust you have also SORNED it!!!!!!!!
Quote:
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’.

The important word there is AND

What is old any way?
My daily driver is over 20 yrs old.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where folk get the idea from that using an old vehicle to conduct an essential journey, is potentially going to land them in Court?

We need to bin the perception that an old vehicle is a cherished artifact.

A vehicle is a vehicle, end of.

As long as it complies with the relevant laws and regulations ( for the UK) then one has every entitlement to use it.

Over the past couple of weeks or so, I have been making essential journeys using both the dellow and the mustang.

The sight of both have indeed appeared to have raised spirits amongst observers.

Indeed, as one lady observed today, when I told her I'd parked up my modern for the duration (SORN ed) she said I had given her the idea, to lay up 2 of the 3 cars in her family at home.
Especially the RangeRover, which apparently cost a small fortune to tax?

Every day I see cyclists riding past my home ( on a signed cycle route). They would have to be riding a good 10 miles or more........given I live rurally.....for the pleasure of the ride.....all under the banner of essential exercise!!

As for using available public transport? Well, given the difficulties of giving very other human being the widest of berths ( 10 metres is too close for my liking!!!!) , and the fact that it is, by nature, public, I personally would be avoiding it at all costs!!!

Besides, I drive my oldies out of preference to anything with wheels made this century.

Or are we not supposed to enjoy ourselves in these trying times?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was almost looking forward to getting stopped by the rozzers while out in the Herald today. One of the number plate lamp bulbs on the modern had failed and I didn't have a spare to hand. According to the strict letter of the law, to drive it in such a condition even in broad daylight is an offence. I need the car for work as, surprisingly, I come into several categories of "key worker". Therefore, what choice did I have but to make a 30 mile round trip in the Herald (which passed its MOT yesterday) to go and get some bulbs? 30 miles because everywhere local has been shut down by government diktat and / or grasping penny-pinching bosses... Rolling Eyes
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being retired, I have no need to drive daily, but my wife and I don't have a vehicle that you might call 'modern' we use our fleet of three for whatever task comes along, so can be seen out shopping in any one of those three. We might visit son, or daughter both of whom live about 60 miles from us, and we can and do use any of our cars for the purpose.

If I needed a daily driver, I would use our 'fleet' for that as well. Just because a car has some age on it, does not mean it can't be used. They were built to be used, and properly maintained are as good, if not better IMHO than any modern confection of tin, plastic and chewing gum.

Our cars are all Rover- 1950 '75', 1959 '90' and 1982 SD1.

BTW when I lived in a Melbourne outer suburb, I used our 1928 Model A Ford as my regular daily transport
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
As for using available public transport? Well, given the difficulties of giving very other human being the widest of berths ( 10 metres is too close for my liking!!!!) , and the fact that it is, by nature, public, I personally would be avoiding it at all costs!!!

I was under the impression that the advice was to avoid public transport, where possible, for exactly this reason.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on classic car use during lockdown Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Excellent advice Dave. I particularly like the bit about using hand signals. Smile
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choosing to drive a classic car rather than your airbag, disc brake, crumple zone equipped modern one is going to increase the severity of any injuries should you be involved in an accident.

Due to the current pressure on the NHS and police you will have to wait longer for the emergency services to reach you and get you to hospital; a hospital where, with NHS clinicians of all disciplines caring for coronavirus patients and many of them having to self-isolate having shown symptoms, the emergency department is seriously under-manned with key staff busy elsewhere.

Your choice.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: