classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cleaning out waterways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Cleaning out waterways. Reply with quote

Im rebuilding an iron engine.
Is there a good diy method to chemically clean the water cooling ways?
Phosphoric acid maybe?
Thanks
Sumpplug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post on this forum and I am really suprised to see a post that relates to the same problem that I have.
I too have to do a bit of internal cleaning, on a V6 ford engine that's been laying idle for some years to the point where when I removed the thermostat elbow, all sorts of sludge and what looks like crystals came out of the housing.
I really need something that I can fill the cooling system and leave for a time while the "chemicals" dissolve the rusty sludge. Bit like "Fernox" in your house heating system.
This wouldn't involve the radiator though as this procedure would probably wreak it. Any advice gratefully received.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget where I read it, but I did read of someone cleaning out an engine's waterways by mixing up one of these rust remover products, the liquid type that you mix in a ratio of approx 1 part product to 10 parts water. I assume this was in an iron block. I'm not recommending this as I don't know what side-effects might be caused by trying this, to the block or sub-assemblies that the coolant passes through, but it might be something to research further.

As I've not read much about this method, I'm guessing that it's not a recommended way of going about the job, but I'd be interested to read if anyone's tried it here.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue came up recently on JagLovers:
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/coolant-thoughts-please/391110

Peter
Sumpplug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some interesting info on there on cleaning your cooling system. They go on about this "evaporust" solution that you can actually run with for a period of time though I doubt it would be a good idea to leave it in there for any length of time, or permanently.
Looking at the stuff that's coming out of my engine, I think I'll need a drain cleaning agent first (diluted) but not left in for long. Then some of this "eveporust" to finish. After that, a good look at the core plugs I think. I'll re-fit my old pump which will be thrown away afterwards.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find citric acid is very good if you have loose components. I used it recently in 2 well furred up Jowett Cylinder heads and it did a great job. Set them up level and filled them full with citric acid solution that I had already use to descale my water heater. Left for a couple of days! Its cheap!
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Citric acid crystals are good for descaling kettles as well, and not as pricey, or damaging for the environment, as the commercial descalers.
Even in plastic kettles.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately when I removed the core plugs from my engine it became apparent that the build up of deposits was so bad that I decided it was beyond any DIY procedure. I decided to remove the engine to have the block head gasket face skimmed following a head gasket failure.
I spent a couple of hours trying to chisel lumps of hard brown clay like deposits out of the water gallery. There was barely any room for the water it was so bad.
I am now having the block professionally chemically cleaned which apparently will produce a casting that looks like new.
All soft metals have to be removed from the casting before dipping or the acid will eat them. So I have removed the brass plugs from the oil galleries and the white metal bearings the camshaft runs in. I have also invested in a new radiator with extra cooling capacity. This is for my Devon pick up truck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: