classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vehicle Battery Charger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Vehicle Battery Charger. Reply with quote

My daughter called me today for advice. Her normal "daily" is a 2010 Vauxhall Nova. It hasn't been started for many weeks and refused to turn over the engine this morning. So down from the shelf came the battery charger that has a switch "Standard and Sealed". A friendly neighbour advised her to use Standard as the Sealed is for "the latest lithium batteries" and should not be used for car batteries. I have a battery charger, it has 12v and 6v, 2A and 6A, that charger has been used on a wide range of vehicles, lawn tractors, ATV's, Snowmobiles. It does the job.

So... question, What is special about the "sealed" option ? I am off to Google the whole thing but I am confident that there are OCC members with all the answers. Thanks...
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional old batteries evaporate their water content and require to be topped up every now and again.

Most modern car batteries are sealed and don't have the 6 screw tops and never require to be topped up.

Peter
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter. Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with sealed batteries and have not seen one that requires water since moving to Canada in 2002.

What I don't know is why the battery charger has the "Standard and Sealed" option switch and what does it do and what would be the result of charging a battery with this switch in the "wrong" position.

Regards
Peter L
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

It could be that the 'sealed' setting reduces the charge to cut down on the Hydrogen produced when a battery is being charged. These batteries only have a small 3/16" vent pipe. How old is the charger?

Art
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my motorbikes have sealed batteries and most modern cars, it just depends on whether you have the refil tops on it, not tops, it's sealed.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the replies, I have applied to my daughter for a photo of the said item.

I delved into Google to learn more about charging vehicle batteries. It would appear that I have being doing it wrong for years.

1: Not disconnecting the battery from the vehicle.
2: Not always charging batteries in a well vented garage or better still outside.
3: Not wearing protective gloves and goggles.
4: Not always switching off the charger FIRST.
5: I did get this one correct. Not smoking near the battery. I have never smoked near to anything.... well maybe the bike sheds 60+ years ago.

Stay Safe...
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
Thankyou for the replies, I have applied to my daughter for a photo of the said item.

I delved into Google to learn more about charging vehicle batteries. It would appear that I have being doing it wrong for years.

1: Not disconnecting the battery from the vehicle.
2: Not always charging batteries in a well vented garage or better still outside.
3: Not wearing protective gloves and goggles.
4: Not always switching off the charger FIRST.
5: I did get this one correct. Not smoking near the battery. I have never smoked near to anything.... well maybe the bike sheds 60+ years ago.

Stay Safe...

Peter. I was taught that cars fitted with an alternator should have their batteries disconnected for charging. Apparently, this is to prevent a diode from overheating.

I would have thought it must depend on for how long and at what amps to do that?
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images. The vehicle is a Vauxhall. The battery was in when she bought the vehicle. Breaking News!!… It is going to the local "car doctor" in the morning and then a tour of local dealers... 2020 VW Golf is favourite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: