classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

remove clearcoat
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: remove clearcoat Reply with quote

Can paint with bad clearcoat be saved?
This is about a car (1987) which in places has very bad clearcoat. The paint is the first paint, and only parts of the body have patches where the clear coat has lifted.

Big question is: can I make the paint presentable again? The base coat where the clear has lifted seems pretty much intact. I am not aiming at all for concours condition, but more for something presentable from a distance. Would like to preserve the paint wherever possible.

Can clear coat be sanded and keeping the base coat? It could then be sprayed with clearcoat.

I have not done this before so am looking for advice. If it is not feasible then I have to rethink about the paint.

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes you can remove clear coat, its frequently done in bodyshops where only part of a panel requires base coat, but to help ensure that the repair looks good a much larger area of clear coat is removed.

Where there is no natural break in the panels such as where a rear quarter panel joins the roof the clear coat is cut back and fade in thinners used to help the new clear coat blend into the old.

Dave
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.
This is on a car I am considering and this is the biggest negative point about the car.
SV8Predator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly not the original factory paint if the clear coat has lifted like that.
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV8Predator. - The Australian Chrysler Valiants built in the seventies were notorious for peeling their clearcoat, exactly like this example. I used to always buy Valiants back in the day and although thy were very good cars, their paintwork was a major failing.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
SV8Predator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
SV8Predator. - The Australian Chrysler Valiants built in the seventies were notorious for peeling their clearcoat, exactly like this example. I used to always buy Valiants back in the day and although thy were very good cars, their paintwork was a major failing.

G'Day Keith,

The car in question is not a Valiant. I stand by my premise that the photo above is not showing factory paint.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV8Predator wrote:
I stand by my premise that the photo above is not showing factory paint.

Hi Keith, with respect - how do you know this is not the original paint / clear coat? The car is question has been bought new by the current owner. There has been (ugly) underseal added over the sills in 1993 but according to the owner there were never paint jobs on the car. However 33 years is a long time.

How can you know this is not the original paint? Did they not use paint like this?
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew some one who worked at a Hillman dealers, when they belonged to Chrysler, part of his job was dealing with warranty claims, the majority of which involved bad paint. The worst he saw was a Hunter on a PDI road test all the paint peeled off the roof down to bare metal.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not replied to the comments made about my post regarding Chrysler Valiant paintwork as my computer died last week and I have been out of all communication.

I was not commenting on whether the paintwork shown in the photo was original or not. I was remarking on SV8Predator’s comment that if it was a factory original paint job then it would not peel. I am aware that the photo was not of a Valiant and my remarks were not directed to the particular car shown.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
SV8Predator wrote:

Hi Keith, with respect - how do you know this is not the original paint / clear coat? The car is question has been bought new by the current owner. There has been (ugly) underseal added over the sills in 1993 but according to the owner there were never paint jobs on the car. However 33 years is a long time.

How can you know this is not the original paint? Did they not use paint like this?
Base and clear coat has been used by manufactures certainly for 40 years, paint faults do occur during manufacture and some have to be rectified in the factory but off the production line,using the same procedures that any "non factory" body shop would use This door may have required a "replacement" clear coat to correct a fault spotted in the factory, and possibly the panel was not cleaned well enough after the original clear coat was removed?
its impossible to say its not factory paint.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
badhuis wrote:
SV8Predator wrote:

Base and clear coat has been used by manufactures certainly for 40 years, paint faults do occur during manufacture and some have to be rectified in the factory but off the production line,using the same procedures that any "non factory" body shop would use This door may have required a "replacement" clear coat to correct a fault spotted in the factory, and possibly the panel was not cleaned well enough after the original clear coat was removed?
its impossible to say its not factory paint.

Dave

I know nothing about paint, but I've seen a lot of Jaguars in particular from the 1990s with peeling clear coat.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may chip in... Embarassed

Badhuis needs to know that trying to blend in his old clear coat with a new one is fraught with potential problems. I would take off the old clear coat completely and re do it.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I would take off the old clear coat completely and re do it.

That would be nice but how? Seems quite a difficult thing to do without damaging the very thin layer of paint below?

I was asking Keith how he was so sure it was not factory paint. The Keith I was referring to is not Keith D but SV8Predator which I think (pretty certain) is also a Keith - well known in the Jensen community and with great knowledge of the marque.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
Ray White wrote:

That would be nice but how? Seems quite a difficult thing to do without damaging the very thin layer of paint below?

It looks from the photo that there is not much clear coat adhesion anyway and careful use of a mop might be enough to remove it. If it doesn't just come off then you will not have really lost anything.

Please don't do anything on my say so...I have had more than my share of failures.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
badhuis wrote:
Ray White wrote:

It looks from the photo that there is not much clear coat adhesion anyway and careful use of a mop might be enough to remove it. If it doesn't just come off then you will not have really lost anything.

Please don't do anything on my say so...I have had more than my share of failures.
1200 on an orbital sander is what I use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: