classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Polish leaving marks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Polish leaving marks Reply with quote

I recently polished the bonnet of my car.
I used turtle wax.
I let it dry,it was a reasonably warm day. I must have polished hundreds of cars so I think I know how to by now. It looked nice and shiny when I rubbed off the dry,while residue.
soon after and even after leaving it a few days I noticed it had a sort of oily sheen over the whole panel. Not really noticeable in daylight but under the bright lights in the garage a rag or hand leaves a noticeable mark looking like a rag with something like WD40 on it has been wiped over.
I did the bonnet again using a bottle of cheap ASDA wax and it looks fine.
Is it possible for polish to go 'off'? Im curious
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Polish leaving marks Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
I recently polished the bonnet of my car.
I used turtle wax.
I let it dry,it was a reasonably warm day. I must have polished hundreds of cars so I think I know how to by now. It looked nice and shiny when I rubbed off the dry,while residue.
soon after and even after leaving it a few days I noticed it had a sort of oily sheen over the whole panel. Not really noticeable in daylight but under the bright lights in the garage a rag or hand leaves a noticeable mark looking like a rag with something like WD40 on it has been wiped over.
I did the bonnet again using a bottle of cheap ASDA wax and it looks fine.
Is it possible for polish to go 'off'? Im curious

That's interesting. I don't know if your polish had "gone off" but if you had been happy with that bottle of polish previously- and now this has happened- then I suppose it could,

If it was a new bottle I would suspect it to be counterfeit although I suppose a manufacturing fault is always possible.

I always use 'Autoglym'. No reason; just force of habit I suppose.
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some liquid polishes tend to separate if left for any length of time, it’s always a good idea to give it a really good shake Before using.

Morris 8 two seater
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Looking at the label again on the bottle I wonder if the bottle is a fake. I cant remember where I got it from (possibly a trade stall at an autojumble) but the label printing looks a bit amateurish on close inspection.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counterfeit... there's a lot of it about. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: