classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Is this the end?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Is this the end? Reply with quote

I thought on posting this in the "what did you do to your car today" thread, but felt the subject deserved a larger airing. Yesterday I decided, the weather being just right with 21C and fluffy clouds, to get the XKSS out for a run. I doubt that this year she had been out more than a handful of times, what with no friendly weekend rallies, no meetings. it's really a bit sad just tootling around on your own with no fellow like-minded friends. So, off we set, the engine pulling like a steam train, the Webers spitting back on a cold engine, and I just set off into the blue. 15 miles down the road I pulled into a small town, pulled over and had a coffee in the sun, the car ticking a few yards from me. And then it hit me; I just hadn't really enjoyed the trip out. I hadn't felt the thrill of driving her that I have always felt for the last 20 years.

I finished my coffee, and decided to pick myself up and drive back through the forest, a route I adore, got home, put the car in the garage and frankly went indoors feeling as I have never felt before; flat as a pancake. I shall mull this over, but as of now I think it is time to let her go - and I am not one who is accustomed to selling my cars, having had the E-type the thick end of 40 years. So I ask the assembled; is there a cure for this or is it fatal? Will that longing to open the garage and hit the road come back, or is this the end?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have felt down about things before but usually when stuck on a restoration. Due to COVID and the lack of driving time this summer I have felt very flat but taking our car out last weekend for the first time, to us was a really pleasant trip.

Like you said, mull it over, give it some time and see how you feel.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you answered your own question in your post "It's a bit sad tootling around on your own with no like minded friends". If we ever get back to something like normal the passion will come back
Minxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been out in my Minx twice this year and I agree the ‘rush’ just wasn’t there. Thinking about it now It almost felt as though I was doing wrong being out and enjoying myself with all that is going on in the world with COvid 19. I have had times in the past when I haven’t been in love with my car as much as I should have been but it has past. Perhaps we are all feeling a little negative this year and the new year will bring us back with a different attitude.
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not the end.

I too have felt similarly after the few outing I have done, but am confident all will change for the better when my outings have more purpose. Tootling around familiar local roads is not the same as embarking on a bit of an adventure perhaps to unknown areas, but there's no incentive to perform the latter at the moment.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the year we've been having, everything's going to feel a bit flat. My view is to get on with life/interests as best as possible, maximise the opportunities to do what we enjoy within the framework of restrictions imposed upon us, and look forward to more rational times ahead. I use the oldies whenever I can, on Sunday we were out in little Dodge, a few days before in the PV444, and I try to avoid the hysteria whipped up by online news outlets and the Beeb, that helps keep me sane and enjoying the old cars whenever I get the opportunity.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
I have only been out in my Minx twice this year and I agree the ‘rush’ just wasn’t there. Thinking about it now It almost felt as though I was doing wrong being out and enjoying myself with all that is going on in the world with COvid 19. I have had times in the past when I haven’t been in love with my car as much as I should have been but it has past. Perhaps we are all feeling a little negative this year and the new year will bring us back with a different attitude.

If you feel "flat" when you have a lovely car like that to drive it is because this damned CV has taken the joy out of life itself. You will be feeingl pissed off anyway but just got used to it. Doing something you would normally enjoy has just brought it home.

That is what the Chinese virus has done to everyone.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you've had the car so long, and been through so much with it, I'd certainly give it time - don't just rush into selling it because you've had one disappointing trip out that might not be anything to do with the car. It's not as if, if you change your mind, you'll be easily able to get another "just the same".
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything as exotic as a Jaguar, but I don't feel flat after driving either my Talbot camper, or my V8 Discovery, possibly because I try to do it fairly regularly.
I use the little modern box for a couple of weeks, then take the camper out for a day, maybe up on the mountain where there are no Covidiots, and have lunch or tea. Then another time, I might use the Discovery for a week, and so on.
I only use them for maybe twenty minutes driving, but swapping them about keeps the two oldies on form, and stops me getting bored.
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can understand what lowdrag feels. I too have had that flat feeling. I decide to get rid of all my old vehicles and just sit back like an old man.

Then a day or so later everything seems to change. The sun comes out and I climb back into the Chrysler and go for a run with others in our club. Ail of a sudden I find myself sneering at the bland fools driving their bland modern-boxes that require no skill whatsoever, and my delight in my old stuff returns.

Anyway, how could I get rid of my Austin that I've had for almost fifty years? Who would look after her and love her?

Stick with it lowdrag, your pleasure will return.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lowdrag. "act in haste, repent at leisure" my father would tell me over 60 years ago.

I don't have a classic but I do have empathy for how you are feeling.

If there is no financial crisis that requires you parting company with your beloved Jaguar right now, then don't.

During 2019 I enjoyed making plans to build my first ever model railway. I joined the Model Railway Club in 2020 and went to one meeting in February and then COVID arrived. The club haven't met since, their very future is unknown and I have turned my attentions to other things. I haven't given up on ever having the Model Railway, but the buzz, lost a z.

Please add a photo of your car into this thread.

Take care and Stay Safe.

Peter
alanb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I also have felt the same, my Morris 8 two seater didn’t turn a wheel between mid March and VE Day then it was only driven out the garage to sit on the drive covered in bunting, the weather turned very hot and I just couldn’t be bothered getting the Morris out so all our journeys were done in air conditioned comfort, then last week I pushed myself to get the Morris out and do a couple of trips to the shops, then a couple of runs out round the country lanes and now I’m looking forward to the next opportunity to use it. It been a funny old year in many ways, for the first 6 weeks of lockdown we never went out at all, our son’s did our shopping and we spent our time gardening (and I don’t like gardening) after 6 weeks we did start going for our walks again but our other social activities have been non existent. Still let’s all look on the bright side and hope next year is back to normal.

Morris 8 two seater
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your wisdom and support. I could never ever sell the E-type, no matter if she just moulders in the garage, but next year is the 60th anniversary and mine will also have her 60th birthday, and several events and one rally are already programmed in. But a replica can have no anniversary. I'll think on it, and see how I feel in a couple of weeks time. Your support has made me feel better already. And as Peter L asked, Here are a couple of photos:-

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Thank you all for your wisdom and support. I could never ever sell the E-type, no matter if she just moulders in the garage, but next year is the 60th anniversary and mine will also have her 60th birthday, and several events and one rally are already programmed in. But a replica can have no anniversary. I'll think on it, and see how I feel in a couple of weeks time. Your support has made me feel better already. And as Peter L asked, Here are a couple of photos:-

Tell you what, lend it to me a for a few months then let me know if you miss it Wink

Hang in there lowdrag, normal service will resume and when it does there'll be a flurry of things to do with the old girl.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Rick, normal service will resume.

Sooner rather than later we all hope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: