classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Weighted gear lever knobs
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Weighted gear lever knobs Reply with quote

I don't think this subject has been covered here before and I am not sure how much there is to be said about it but I have recently been considering what type of gear knob I would prefer. I have fitted a Ford T9 5 speed gearbox to the MG TC ( a very popular modification ) and I have been reading that a weighted gear knob can significantly improve the gear change, which can be rather leaden and notchy.

I hadn't realised but there is a huge range in after market gear knobs. Some are cheap and cheerful while others are surprisingly expensive. There are also ARGUMENTS about which is the better; a short throw which make for quicker changes or a taller, weighted one which makes for smoother - but presumably a bit slower.

I wouldn't want to make the lever much longer or I could risk catching my hand on the underside of the dash. I had been considering a stubby weighted gear knob and found to my surprise that they are no longer screwed on. Some rely on grub screws to hold in place
- while others are marque specific and simply "click" into place. I wouldn't want something that might be difficult to get off.

I would be interested to get advice from any one who has experimented with the weighted type of gear knob.
Presently, the box is fitted with a simple leather finished knob that is probably fine but could possibly be improved upon but I wouldn't want anything that looks too modern. Having said that, I do like the leather and wood one.

Yes, I know I am jumping the gun as I don't even have a body on yet; but I like to plan ahead.
alanb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a nice chunky solid walnut gear knob on his mx5 look great and felt great, can’t beat the feel of good quality wood.

Morris 8 two seater
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
can’t beat the feel of good quality wood.

Have to agree. The simple full wooden knob in my TR4 (standard fitment for USA export I believe) is great to use.

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the weighted ones are the knobs preferred by the drifters, so if you want to GWI and slide that's your route!

Personally on a car like yours I'd just fit something that looks right.

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer any modern modifications to be invisible so even when using a modern box I would hide the fact by fitting the original TC knob even if it does require a different thread to be cut on the new lever. The fact that the H display is wrong wouldn't bother me.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my original gear knob. It is a cheap, plastic (probably Bakelite) little thing that presumably I am obliged to use; not because I like it but because it is correct for the car. ?
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

I tend to agree, things like modern gearknobs/switchgear/steering wheels etc just jarr inside an otherwise olde-worlde cockpit. IMO obviously Smile

It sounds like the ideal candidate for 3D printing something usable but correct looking, although I suppose the cost would be prohibitive unless a batch were produced with a view to selling-on the surplus units, if enough people needed such things.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

I tend to agree, things like modern gearknobs/switchgear/steering wheels etc just jarr inside an otherwise olde-worlde cockpit. IMO obviously Smile

It sounds like the ideal candidate for 3D printing something usable but correct looking, although I suppose the cost would be prohibitive unless a batch were produced with a view to selling-on the surplus units, if enough people needed such things.

RJ
That's a good idea, it should be a simple project if you know someone with a printer?

Dave
Penguin45

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MkI Mini knob is the same. Modern versions come with a rubber insert, so cut their own thread as you screw it on. 22G110 from MiniSpares. I used one on the 18/85 to good effect.

Chris.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally complain about aches and pains but I think I should admit that the thing which has prompted this rather odd topic is that I am unable to comfortably handle the little 1 1/4" TC gear knob... so I shall not be fitting it. I am also not entirely happy with the knob that came with the 5 speed box - although the leather finish is nicer - my hand still hurts.

I find the chunkier knobs much easier to use. I think the wooden one that badhuis has on his TR4 would be ideal for me.

One important point that I should make again is that this rebuild is not intended to be an accurate recreation of a TC as it came from Abingdon. There are plenty of standard cars about but this rebuild, down to the last nut and bolt, is personal to me. I am not trying to make it look the same as all the other TC restorations out there.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Have you got a friend with a wood lathe?

You cold then get one turned up just the size you want. and you then embed a correct sized nut in the bottom of it and it will screw on.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Have you got a friend with a wood lathe?

You cold then get one turned up just the size you want. and you then embed a correct sized nut in the bottom of it and it will screw on.

Yes, I had planned on making my own. I could mount a suitable piece of timber between centres on my lathe and see how I get on with the collection of wood turning chisels that my Dad left me. I had considered letting a slightly domed enamel MG badge into the top.

peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comme ça...

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: