classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

is it the end for car meets again this year
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there is very little chance of spreading the virus at an old car meet. ?

We are generally careful types anyway and probably amongst the least likely people to behave recklessly with regard to social distancing.

Seems to me as if the baby is being thrown out with the bath water. Confused
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: meets ? Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

Increased restrictions and the devastating impact on society, business, mental health and so on, aren't justified by the published figures. IMO. Alas no-one is questioning all these new laws being rushed through.
RJ

Agreed.

It seems rather pointless to me to survive Covid if, when it's finally all over, nobody has a job to go to because the economy has been destroyed.

As it is we have the Government effectively legislating people's jobs out of existence then telling them "tough". I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it's like the destruction of the coal industry all over again only this time there will be many more victims.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Don't get me started on shops.

We went into a town a week or so ago, its the first time my wife has ventured into town throughout the pandemic. She wanted to go to her favourite local deli, the sign outside clearly said maximum 2 people so there was a queue (quite long). Next thing we know there is basically a scuffle starting between some lets just say OAP's about who was in the queue first and the fact that they had to wait. One then simply said some expletives and marched straight in the shop, hasten I say with no bloody mask on!!

What could the shopkeeper do you ask? Very little, they cant enforce anything apart from refusing to serve.

This pandemic really has brought out the 'true' nature of some of the population!

One thing I've noticed with several local shops is that they have a sign outside saying only x customers in the shop at one time. They don't, however, have anyone manning the door, and because you can't see through the windows which are plastered with adverts, there's no way of telling how many people are already in the shop without venturing inside the shop. You can, indeed, easily collide with someone coming out as you enter, again because the glass door has been covered in advertising material. Several months in there's just no excuse for this, IMO.

Another problem can be, when you can actually see through the windows, is that the supposedly limited numbers in the shop are queuing along an aisle between shelving units that are taller than most people and run parallel to the street outside. Once again, no way of telling how many people are in the shop without going inside and still no action being taken by the local councils who seem largely concerned with persuing an anti-motorist programme of narrowing and closing streets to aid with social distancing measures that virtually everybody is ignoring.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rather pointless trying to blame 'Government' for every bungled attempt to limit the spread of Covid. How many highly infectious epidemics have we as a nation endured in the past 50 years? Not many, if any, I'll warrant! So the Government are groping around in the [better informed than us, I'll also warrant?] dark.....and it's a darned good thing the Government feel easy about making contact U turns and changes over advice & policy....as new information, new evidence, new processes, come to light.
Better to make a thousand U turns, than to doggedly stick to outmoded, outdated policies.
It's called, flexibility.

What the covid restrictions have proved, to me at least, is that far too many folk do not have a home life capable of withstanding stresses.

Just look at the huge percentages of urban/metropolitan/ city dwellers who are frantically trying to change their home lifestyles by trying to move to the small towns and villages of pour beautiful land? where the quality of life is just so much more basic, yet more appropriate, more resilient to stresses?

It's all about individual responsibility.

Far too may seem intent on hankering after the old ways of life, when covid has proved we need to make drastic and dramatic changes to how we live.

In management speak..it's called the 'management of change'...where the entrenched are dragged kicking and screaming into the new ways.

We may, or may not, be allowed to do things.......but there is nothing to say it is wise for many of us to do those things...especially if older, or more vulnerable, health-wise?

I think we have to take a serious look at the priorities in our lives? The 'real' priorities, not the fads and fancies?

For one thing, I would ask, do we really 'need' car shows?

[For one aspect of car shows surely must be, to attract ever larger numbers of people, from who-knows-where, to come and visit?]

Are those attempts at large gatherings really essential to the greater scheme of things?

Fanciful leisure activities, set against an increased health risk?

Not for me, thank you!

I don't feel I have any serious health issues, even at my age.
But I have one or two good friends who do have issues.......

So I do my utmost to avoid large crowded areas. I act in a responsible manner regarding the wearing of masks [surely not too much of an inconvenience?].

Shopping habits have been changed......[I never did 'shop' for the sake of it]

Jobs too, will change....I think we can kiss goodbye on a working 'economy' based on superficial underpinnings.....all those fancy gucci coffee businesses which aren't essential to life, yet pander to the whims of those with more money than sense....?

All those nail bars, and tanning salons....all of which did nothing really fundamental to the economy apart from distort the figures regarding real employment.

For me, I will continue to use my old cars for the purpose for which they were originally made.
OK, so they may well start to show the signs of a working motor, rather than a mollycoddled garage queen......but then, that is why I spend time servicing, fettling, dabbing on a bit of paint here and there [or not, as the case may be?]....
I don't polish my shoes to make them look presentable and nice...I polish them to keep them serviceable for the job they have to do.

Changes to the way we live must come.....It's already happening, I think.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the real reason we are having to accept a lower standard of living with reduced freedoms?

To me it's simple. The Chinese want to bring us all down to their level. By screwing the World economy they will achieve that aim and eventually bring about Communist domination. Capitalism is finished so for the Chinese that is an open door.

Of course, I may be wrong - and I hope I am - but it all seems a bit too convenient.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title is, "is it the end for car meets again this year"

Perhaps some of you could re-read your comments and edit those that aren't relevant; I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be grateful.

Thanks.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and the real reason we are having to accept a lower standard of living with reduced freedoms?

Nobody has to 'accept' anything in the above regards.

Your 'freedom' to do as you please, is another person's restriction.

You sound as if you feel an entitlement is being taken away?

Communism, as we used to know it, doesn't work. State control of the economy, doesn't work [the UK proved that after WW2...those economies that embraced a free market, prospered]. China is in reality becoming more & more a market-driven economy.

The problem is, everybody seems to want to revert back to the 'good times' of 20 years ago?

20 years ago, nobody was in the slightest bit interested in the fact most of their consumer products were made in China.....

Who can blame the Chinese for exploiting the western economies' weaknesses in that respect?

As for 'standard of living?'

What,in reality, is that, when it's at home?

More important I think is whether we are happy with what we already have?

As I mentioned, the vast percentage increase in families seeking to move away from the big conurbations, to seek a 'better', more wholesome lifestyle away in the sticks is indicative to me that an awful lot of people are, underneath it all, realising the superficiality of our so-called ''standard of living''?

Anyway, even without covid the world economies were about to crash as it is....so we're no worse off....far from it.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have said "quality of life" rather than "standard of living". I know my quality of life has been seriously compromised by the fear of Covid 19.

As I said, I could be wrong. I hope I am... but don't let the Chinese fool you into thinking they are no longer Communists; that's what exactly they want you to think.

Anyway, I have said I believe they want us down to their level and are prepared to do anything - including releasing this Corona Virus - to achieve it.

Better I not say anymore.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to put the thread back on track I have a choice of two meetings today, had one last weekend and another next weekend. The latter I shall certainly go to since it is the Le Mans 24 Hour race here but spectators are banned. not sure which one I shall attend today but the weather is very unseasonal and hot (up to 32C today, 36C tomorrow and 30C all through the next week) so I need to think of ones where there is some shade.
old iron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is what you make it, whatever it may throw at you.
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to my first car meet today at a country pub about 3 miles from me, They held their monthly Classic Car & Bike meet the first of the year last month, but unfortunately I missed that one so today I made the effort. A few yank tanks, Lincoln convertible, Lincoln saloon, a modern mustang and a Can Am, an MGA, MGB, a Triumph Stag, TVR, and a couple of Lotus Elans, several old British bikes BSA’s Triumphs, Norton’s several Harley’s. Not as many as last years shows but it passed a couple of hours and felt like things are slowly returning to normal social distancing and all.

Morris 8 two seater
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is full of choices and we all choose what is best for us as individuals.

Small local meet ups have become the norm for us and we choose to attend whereas some of our friends choose not to. From the 14th though we shall recede to keeping ourselves to ourselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: