classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old engines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alanb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Old engines Reply with quote

A friend of mine is having a clear out of his many sheds and lean to’s, he has a number of old stationary engines and a couple of what look like Austin 10 engines and a couple of what he believes Austin A40 Devon engines all have been stood in not ideal conditions for 30 years or more. My question is do the members of this forum think they have any value and are worth saving? If so does anyone have any idea of what they would be worth?

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I sold a cache of Austin Seven spares including an engine and gearbox.

I accepted £100 for the lot (quite a lot actually) because I knew the young chap was restoring his Grandfather's Seven. No doubt I could have got quite a bit more if I had advertised it on Ebay

I think the degree of corrosion must be taken into account with the engines you mention.
alanb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I can’t get close enough to assess their condition but from ten feet they look pretty rusty, but it maybe mostly surface rust. Once we can get them out I’ll be able see if they can be turned by hand, it’s just I’d hate to see them go to scrap if they could be of use to someone, if the blocks are sound they may help someone out of trouble.

Morris 8 two seater

Last edited by alanb on Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded of when the famous yard at Adversane was being cleared. There was a trailer container filled to the top with ancient aluminium crank cases and gearboxes. I was told if there was anything I wanted I should grab it before it was sent away as scrap.

It was quite sickening but I had no means of lifting such heavy parts so I had to walk away.

today, I expect a crank case for an Edwardian car would set you back thousands.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And at Stickley's yard in the Midlands, it should be remembered that about 30 years ago they found part of the cut-up remains of the Jaguar prototype E1A. After changing hands a few times and nothing being done, it is now slowly being rebuilt. And they've even got the registration back!

Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: engine parts? Reply with quote

a picture tells a thousand words. showing a couple and seeing if any interest is best way to start.value is significantly affected by condition .eg no turning of crank? surface rust is ignored as is paint and unless we can identify parts ? we face endless question from anybody remotely interested. Local interest is best of course as possible to pop round for a dekko? submitting pics and asking for interest or offers from local car clubs ? museums? might get ball rolling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: