classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tach dwell meters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Tach dwell meters Reply with quote

Good day all.
I have decided to invest in a automotive multi-meter that, among other things, will do dwell and RPM.
So has anyone got any recommendations and can anyone confirm if having a positive earth vehicle make any difference.
Thanking you in advance.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one somewhere that I've never used, if I remember I'll try to see if the instructions (if it has any) suggest any issues with positive earth.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at this thread:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3361&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=dd31c0351586d716e7028fa98db10666

Dwell meters can be used on +&-ve polarity

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave. Perhaps you could answer a question about dwell?

Which is more important, getting the dwell angle right or getting the points gap right?

I am not sure how you can be sure of getting both right.

Or am I being electrically illiterate?
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray
I'd say dwell is the most important. Jim Walker's explanation, the last post in the link UKDave provided, is a good one.
I've seen a US engine with an externally-adjustable points gap being tuned - it's a bit like adjusting the idle screw on a carb. to get the best running.
& then the ignition timing needs to be set & I, of course, would use a vacuum gauge for that!

Is Jim still around? We had several conversations about a Rolls that he was thinking of re-acquiring. Once owned by his family business, it was in a Museum on the west coast.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say dwell is the most important. General Motors made the distributors with the window in the side where you can adjust the the dwell with the engine running, It's surprising the difference a couple of degrees error makes to the running, My dwell meter, an old American one I've had for about thirty years, will work on either polarity.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gents. That was obviously a question worth asking.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
General Motors made the distributors with the window in the side where you can adjust the the dwell with the engine running, It's surprising the difference a couple of degrees error makes to the running,

Renault also had points adjustment conducted externally with the engine running a well. [Renault 14 being my personal experience]

I have an old [nay...ancient actually] Gunson meter which does all sorts.....so ancient, the dial is looking silvery..and the leads get harder every year...Must remember to wipe them with olive oil or something?

I found doing a dwell setting to be a trifle ''too much, too little, too much, too little, etc....since the engine needs stopping to adjust the points , then re-starting, only to find I've gone but a tad too far....
Things always improved once I'd junked the points for a hall sensor...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
Is Jim still around? We had several conversations about a Rolls that he was thinking of re-acquiring. Once owned by his family business, it was in a Museum on the west coast.

If you mean jim.walker, it seems he last posted in a thread in 2017 and before that, 2014. In 2017 he mentioned that he hadn't been around for some time.
Minxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Quote:
General Motors made the distributors with the window in the side where you can adjust the the dwell with the engine running, It's surprising the difference a couple of degrees error makes to the running,

Renault also had points adjustment conducted externally with the engine running a well. [Renault 14 being my personal experience]

I have an old [nay...ancient actually] Gunson meter which does all sorts.....so ancient, the dial is looking silvery..and the leads get harder every year...Must remember to wipe them with olive oil or something?

I found doing a dwell setting to be a trifle ''too much, too little, too much, too little, etc....since the engine needs stopping to adjust the points , then re-starting, only to find I've gone but a tad too far....
Things always improved once I'd junked the points for a hall sensor...

Dwell can be set from a cranking engine so an assistant turning the key (or in my case pushing a button) and ones self on the screwdriver and it’s job done.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dwell can be set from a cranking engine so an assistant turning the key (or in my case pushing a button) and ones self on the screwdriver and it’s job done.

I was born handicapped..I only have two arms.....neither of which are long enough...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

measuring points gap was only ever a simple way of setting dwell, as it only required a cheap set of feeler gauges...these day electronic equipment is cheap in the 60's, 70's & 80's it was incredibly expensive .

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: