classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rare fog lamp screw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Rare fog lamp screw Reply with quote

I am looking for a replacement screw that secures the fog lamp rim. It has a strangely wide screwdriver slot which I have attempted to tidy up; I don't think the slot needs to be as wide.

It is a 13mm long chrome plated brass raised countersunk slot headed set screw with a 4mm thread. The head has a diameter of 10mm.

The closest I have found is in stainless steel (not a problem) but with only a 7mm dia. head (which is a problem).

I didn't expect to find metric but it threads into a small clamp inside the lamp. I want to avoid anything that is not very similar to the original if I can or I will have to get the bruised original re plated along with the lamp.

This little screw seems to be rather illusive.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray
I think that's a BA threaded screw, though stand to be corrected. Your friendly local hobby shop will have stock in brass & SS. It might even have a large-headed one on an older Hornby/Triang model - ask to see the bit-&-pieces drawer!
The same screw was also used on lots of Lucas lamps of that era.
PS I think the wide slot is for a 6d piece!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray

Lucas used lots of BA threads, I'd agree that's what it probably is, if you are searching for them its a "raised head slotted screw".
It's quite easy to tidy up slotted screws, I do it all the time on things like carburettor slotted screws that always seem to suffer and have dog eared heads:
If you put the screw in a vice, head side up, with the underside of the screw head against the vice jaws, protecting the threads with some thin material, the vice doesn't have to be very tight on the threads and then simply lightly planish the head with a light hammer to take the damage out, you will be surprised by how easily the metal goes back to its original shape, any burrs can be removed with a needle file.

You can then get it chromed or as I have been doing with a lot of parts recently nickel plate myself; nickel plating is very cheap (less than £10 to set yourself up) and easy to obtain really good results, I wish I had known how to do it years ago!!

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

You can then get it chromed or as I have been doing with a lot of parts recently nickel plate myself; nickel plating is very cheap (less than £10 to set yourself up) and easy to obtain really good results, I wish I had known how to do it years ago!!

Dave

It'd be interesting to see a thread about that sometime if possible.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a 2 BA.

Sorry. I must wear my reading glasses!!!
alanb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wide slot is probably so it can be undone with a coin

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
The wide slot is probably so it can be undone with a coin

Yes, that is what Mike Peters suggested.

I have tidied up the edges and popped it in the box of bits that are going to the chrome platers tomorrow. (They would have gone today but I had a flat battery on the P38; it's been standing idle for a month.)
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

As Rick said, that would be interesting to read. I do some of my own plating and passivating, but with a kit that I bought containing all the bits, and it was a lot more expensive.

There's an argument that I won't have enough to plate to justify buying the kit, it would have been cheaper to just get it done somewhere, but I do like to do stuff myself if I can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: