classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

First experiences of PAS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: power steering. Reply with quote

first real pas system with variable assistance was my Ford Kuga. fiesta before was as far as I aware unassisted? .I have a rover P6b with NO power assist and have to remember to eat lots of spinach before trying anything more impressive than a slow roundabout. A 3? point turn being out of question unless your on an aircraft runway with no aircraft on it! even then you need to be fit. looking at fitting an EPAS system later so its more usable as a daily driver rather than special days only. sadly ££££ so might be a year or three before that occurs. Did use transit at work with power steering and my son defender etc both need it! difference it makes is superb. on My Kuga you can be stationary and simply use palm of hand (one) to go lock to lock without effort. try moving a P^b starring wheel when stationary with BOTH arms ...might be a nice way for a body builder to exercise though.
Inglewood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My earliest recollection of PAS was on the 2200 Land Crabs, the steering pump/valves were very noisy and also prone to oil leaks.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1970 Cadillac has variable ratio power steering, it works quite well, but I have never driven a modern with a similar system to make a proper comparison
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pas car was my 1955 Citroen DS19, bought in 1969. Dead clever, compared to the Vauxhall Victor!
The latest vehicle is my 1987 Talbot camper, which was unbelievably heavy, until I found a guy called Chris Hart who recycles Corsa pas units and fits them to Talbots (I believe he converts other makes too) When I pulled out onto the main road I applied the same pressure as I was used to, and mounted the bl**dy kerb! I soon adapted though, and I'm glad to say that my newly-acquired Talbot Kontiki motorhome has the same system fitted.
Best £600 I've ever spent.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
My first pas car was my 1955 Citroen DS19, bought in 1969. Dead clever, compared to the Vauxhall Victor!
The latest vehicle is my 1987 Talbot camper, which was unbelievably heavy, until I found a guy called Chris Hart who recycles Corsa pas units and fits them to Talbots (I believe he converts other makes too) When I pulled out onto the main road I applied the same pressure as I was used to, and mounted the bl**dy kerb! I soon adapted though, and I'm glad to say that my newly-acquired Talbot Kontiki motorhome has the same system fitted.

I think it is difficult for us to appreciate quite how advanced the DS was when it was introduced...and remained ahead of the competition for years.

Interesting you mention the Vauxhall Victor as it was indeed basic in comparison. My Dad had an FA from new and was delighted with it. He did, though, have great admiration for the DS but in truth I think he was fearful of it's complexity. I am sure if he had had the confidence to buy one he would have grown to love it.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove a DS a couple of times. It had the clutch less gear change and the golf ball brake pedal, not a pleasant car to drive. I knew some one who had a tatty example. An hydraulic pipe burst in the middle of town, everything failed, suspension, steering, brakes, it couldn't even be towed away. It created a lovely traffic jam
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think on of our number is restoring an SM but I can't remember who. You have to admire anyone who has the ability to restore one of those!!
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
emmerson wrote:

I think it is difficult for us to appreciate quite how advanced the DS was when it was introduced...and remained ahead of the competition for years.

Interesting you mention the Vauxhall Victor as it was indeed basic in comparison. My Dad had an FA from new and was delighted with it. He did, though, have great admiration for the DS but in truth I think he was fearful of it's complexity. I am sure if he had had the confidence to buy one he would have grown to love it.

I had five or six DS, Ray. That 1955 was one of the first built in Slough.
The last one, in 1986 was a DS23 Safari with the 2.3 injected engine. Went like stink, even with a motor bike in the back!
BTW, one of the Safaris was an ex television camera car, used to film from inside the track, on the grass, as the magic suspension would keep the car level.
I can quite understand folk not liking the cars on short acquaintance, but drive one for a week, and it would very difficult to hand it back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: