classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Radiator cleaner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Radiator cleaner Reply with quote

I am sure I have read somewhere (here?) what to put in a car radiator to clean it but I can't remember what it is. My MG TC radiator has seen very little use for many years and I want to establish if it is as free as it could be before fitting it to the car. I also have a spotlessly clean engine block so I don't want to run the risk of muck from the radiator getting in there.

So far I have thought of dishwasher cleaner (Vanish); washing machine cleaner (Calgon) ; molasses; patio cleaner (Muriatic acid/HCL); central heating cleaner (Fernox)'

I have just thrown in a few ideas but I simply don't know what to use. Some things probably only work with hot water but I shall be using cold.

What would you guys use?

Perhaps more importantly, what shouldn't I use?
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinegar is good for descaling, dishwasher powder or tablets dissolved in boiling water and then poured into the radiator is good for general sludge removal

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
Vinegar is good for descaling, dishwasher powder or tablets dissolved in boiling water and then poured into the radiator is good for general sludge removal

Dishwasher tablets....I know where to find them. I wonder if she will notice some missing? hmmmm. Laughing
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dishwasher detergent is very good, but it does need very hot water to work as intended. It's best put in a running car & driven for a few days prior to flushing & anti-freeze.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
Dishwasher detergent is very good, but it does need very hot water to work as intended. It's best put in a running car & driven for a few days prior to flushing & anti-freeze.

So please can you say what would you recommend for a flush with cold water prior to fitting?

As I mentioned I would hate to contaminate my chemically cleaned engine block and head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: