classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

battery mystery.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray.. The upside of this being that with a hidden engine crank switch, the vehicle isn't quite as easy to drive away. Going back to some earlier posts, I would find it interesting to know what internal part of the switch fails ? In the end, this episode by be a blessing in disguise.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
Ray.. The upside of this being that with a hidden engine crank switch, the vehicle isn't quite as easy to drive away. Going back to some earlier posts, I would find it interesting to know what internal part of the switch fails ? In the end, this episode by be a blessing in disguise.

Peter; I am temped to rip the blessed switch open to find out what has failed. Only, if I do that I will forfeit a refund...

Confused
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see about £30+VAT for a Lucas One and £15+VAT for a "No Name".... You're right, take the refund £'s and buy some wine... Laughing

You said I win.... No Ray.. you win.. the rest of us are just here to annoy you and give advice ... Stay Safe Very Happy
petelang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside would be a piece of mica insulator between the terminal and the casing. Probably cracked when tightened up. Sounds like the sort of quality issue from Chinese made products. The old Lucas version would have a thicker insulator.
I had my 1934 Daimler floor mounted start switch apart and found similar, a fire just waiting to start, but remanufactured terminals and insulators from an old starter solenoid to fit within it and I have confidence now knowing its sound.
You just never know with the stuff around these days, often impossible to even dismantle without destroying it. In the old days EVERYTHING could be dismantled and repaired.
If I was in your shoes Ray, I would forgo the refund and strip it, make it better and then you are sure and know it will serve you well for many years.
Just think of it as a £15 lesson in acquired knowledge?
Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Inside would be a piece of mica insulator between the terminal and the casing. Probably cracked when tightened up. Sounds like the sort of quality issue from Chinese made products. The old Lucas version would have a thicker insulator.
I had my 1934 Daimler floor mounted start switch apart and found similar, a fire just waiting to start, but remanufactured terminals and insulators from an old starter solenoid to fit within it and I have confidence now knowing its sound.
You just never know with the stuff around these days, often impossible to even dismantle without destroying it. In the old days EVERYTHING could be dismantled and repaired.
If I was in your shoes Ray, I would forgo the refund and strip it, make it better and then you are sure and know it will serve you well for many years.
Just think of it as a £15 lesson in acquired knowledge?
Peter

I know what you mean Peter. Unfortunately this is the second new starter switch that I have bought through the club. As it happens, each one has cost @ £30 and even if I get a refund I will still have wasted my time and the postage.

Incidentally, I have an old original one from the 'sixties and although it looks rough it is probably better inside that the new ones.

Apparently our village has a vacancy. I think I ought to be nominated. Razz
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having sat and thought about it I went back out to the car and had another look.

Let me firstly make my excuses for behaving like an idiot. I have a problem with my eyesight and I am booked into the hospital this week for cataract surgery.

What I had done was to fit the battery cable to the switch the wrong way round. This meant part of the cable connector was earthing on the switch body. It wasn't until I shone a light up from underneath that I saw what was happening.

So... there is nothing wrong with the switch and the starter turns the engine over as expected.

My apologies for wasting everyone's time. Embarassed
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you resolved it!
Cataract surgery is amazing. Invest in 2 or 3 pairs of reading glasses until you find a strength that suits you.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike. I am sure it's fine but I can't help feeling a bit nervous. Confused
Penguin45

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Thank you Mike. I am sure it's fine but I can't help feeling a bit nervous. Confused

You'll be fine. The difference is amazing - so much so you'll be champing at the bit to get the other eye sorted. Just be aware of photosensitivity for a while - I had to use sunglasses for a couple of months.

Chris.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the turn of the century I was blind without my bottle-end glasses, and had been all my life. Couldn't tell who you were at five paces. Then I underwent Lasik surgery, and had 20/20 vision and carried +2.5 glasses for reading. Then I had cataract surgery three years back, and still have 20/20 in one eye and 17/20 in the other. it is painless, and you won't regret it.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I can't go on like this.

Hopefully I will be able to get behind the wheel again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: