classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1963 Mini "barn" find for auction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
traction39

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: 1963 Mini "barn" find for auction Reply with quote

Any mini enthusiasts? Up for auction...

https://www.rogersjones.co.uk/en/home-contents-and-collectables/483/2020-10-16/lot/1

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one two years back that was a rusted-out wreck and the buyer had paid £18,000 for it, then another £45,000 to have it completely rebuilt to concours standard. And all because it was an early 1959 car.

Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks like a very tidy little car in its original condition.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fault. That was after the shell had been rebuilt. The rest was in boxes
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the little grey one in the auction.

The red shell does look like its been worked on and spending £45k on its rebuild sounds way over the top to someone like me.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely, but I was told that the shell on the original cars is very different to the later ones, and that the shell work alone took some time. And, as usual, some early parts are very rare and consequently expensive. It's like the E-type. Until recently the rear number plate lights were selling for £500 on Ebay. Now they are being remade, the price has dropped to £100. Supply and demand.
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, they were awful when new. Age hasn't improved them!
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am showing my age but I can remember when they were launched. It must be one of my earliest memories as a little lad. I had gone with my Dad to a car dealership. (I think it was Wadham Stringer) and the grown ups were all over the Mini Minor.

The thing I remember most, however, was how much better the Morris Minor Traveller was. I remember it had proper door handles where the Mini had a silly bit of string hanging down and it also had proper window winders that I could play with. The Mini had primitive sliding windows which were not pleasant to use. The Traveller had a fantastic wooden body with double doors at the back. I simply loved the look of the thing and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about with the silly little Mini.

Of course, at that age I couldn't appreciate the brilliant handling of the Mini which made the
Morris Minor seem like an old man's car.

Probably the spiritual successor to the Morris Minor saloon was not so much the Mini Minor as the ADO16 ; in my view an altogether better proposition. The Traveller, however, was eventually supplanted by the Mini Countryman which was loved by many but in my humble opinion was not a patch on it's far more practical predecessor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: