classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Caution with Ultrasonic cleaners
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
petelang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Caution with Ultrasonic cleaners Reply with quote

I have a lot of old bits to clean up from a broken up Armstrong Siddeley so thought I would invest in a small ultrasonic cleaner, having seen some YouTube videos and impressed by the results. It arrived last week and I was eager to try it out.
Before racing off to the garage, I noticed how grubby my watch strap and watch was so, reading the instructions and knowing these are used by jewellers, I put my waterproof Tissot watch into a bath of mild detergent and switched on.
I only set it for three minutes and the dirt that came off the metal link strap was instantly evident.
Trouble is, the glass came off the front of the watch and filled it up with detergent.
Watch no longer works!
I now face an expensive watch repair as it is a treasured gift from wifey. Rolling Eyes
Another expensive lesson!
It does clean up small components very well though, but I'm still experimenting with different fluids. So far tried catering degreaser and washing up liquid with startling good results. It even lifts rust if left for long enough
Peter
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use standard household citrus cleaner and hot water in mine with good results.

Kev
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Traffic Film Remover in ours. Cheap and about 3/4” sloshed in then topped up with boiling water, is a great starting point for cleaning.
I put the thermostat housing complete with a totally unobtainable 1940s bellows thermostat, belonging to a car that had sat in a damp garden for 33 years, in ours. Took a few goes but you should have seen the crud that came out of it.
Thermostat now tested and still works perfectly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: