classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Which timing light?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Which timing light? Reply with quote

There are many different timing lights on the market. So much so that I don't quite know where to start.

My first "lightbulb" moment was when I realised that some basic strobe lights will not help me to establish the correct "degrees" when setting up my new CSI electronic distributor. I THINK what I need is a 'digital' instrument.

The CSI instructions say to "check the dynamic adjustment with the help of a stroboscope...set on 10 degrees at idle (800 -1000 rpm)."

Where I am floundering is choosing from a vast array of different instruments.

I will probably use a strobe light once in a blue moon so I don't want to pay over the odds - but I want something that will help me make progress with the TC rebuild.

Your suggestions may well get me out of yet another hole. Wink
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd defiantly avoid the inline lamps as they are never that bright, go for a cheaper inductive lamp (externally powered), if you don't have any other way of measuring rpm, then consider one with a built in rev counter, you will probably get a reasonable one for around £30 .

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I'd defiantly avoid the inline lamps as they are never that bright, go for a cheaper inductive lamp (externally powered), if you don't have any other way of measuring rpm, then consider one with a built in rev counter, you will probably get a reasonable one for around £30 .

Dave

That is just the kind of advice I was hoping for.

Thank you Dave!

Are their any makes etc. that I should avoid that you might think be less reliable?

eBay is not always the best place to go but there is plenty of choice on there.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which timing light? Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
The CSI instructions say to "check the dynamic adjustment with the help of a stroboscope...set on 10 degrees at idle (800 -1000 rpm)."

I think refers to a feature that some of the cheaper ones don't have. That is, the ability to "dial in" the advance so that the strobe "flashes" at 10 degrees in your example. Without that, you need to have a timing mark at 10 degrees, with it you only need the top dead centre mark. It's also very handy to have that feature as you can use it to measure timing, by adjusting the light until it's flashing at TDC. (Apologies if this is all obvious - my first couple of strobes didn't have that feature, so I didn't know what I was missing).

As for makes, I can't remember my handheld one - a mate gave me a Crypton machine, and as I have space for it, I've been using that every time I needed to check timing.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your contribution Mike. That was the "lightbulb" moment that I referred to. I had been stressing about how to establish 10 degrees with my primitive strobe light. I Had visions of putting another notch in the pulley.

I am still not sure if they mean 10 degrees before or after TDC.

Shocked Confused
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

Shocked Confused
It will almost certainly be 10° BTDC.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Shocked Confused
It will almost certainly be 10° BTDC.

Dave

Thank you Dave.

That's another doubt no lingering in the back of my mind... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: