classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1967 Harley (Aermacchi) Sprint SS 250
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: 1967 Harley (Aermacchi) Sprint SS 250 Reply with quote

I purchased this little bike around 2007 to compete in Motogiro USA. The 250cc Class was the largest at that time, but a 305 class was subsequently added to include the many Honda owners wanting to participate. 1968 is the cutoff year. My best finish was second in class and 4th overall out of 100 or so riders.

The bike is very original including the exhaust system. I've upgraded the front brake to a later double leading shoe setup. The seat, a Sportster version, was probably dealer installed by the original owner. I have the original horn, but the one in the photo is louder, although I'm not in love with the way it looks.

This bike is simple to maintain and handles like it's on rails. Some owners retrofit a later Mikuni carb in place of the original Dellorto, but I have found the original easy to adjust with a smooth idle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191003545@N03/albums/72157716885188462
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Penguin45

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15BB631A-6F33-4009-87A8-74A69F8F7B53 by Joe Amara, on Flickr

There you go, Joe. Nice machine.

Chris.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Harleys but I do know some had a "lost spark" ignition (if that is what you guys call it). Is this one of them or is it later.?
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, Harley-Davidson bought 51% of the Italian motorcycle manufacturer Aermacchi in the 1950s to add a range of small displacement bikes to their product line. Aermacchi had built their reputation competing in post-war Italy's Motogiro events. These single-cylinder machines were imported from Italy and tarted-up with a Sportster-style tank and wide handlebars to appeal to the US market. I'm not sure if they were a commercial success, but I remember seeing ads for them in 60's motorcycle magazines.

Your question brings a smile because the nomenclature, Lost-Spark, certainly could apply to Italian motorcycle electrical systems of this era. But, this isn't really a Harley, so I doubt an H-D ignition system found its way into this machine. Like you, I don't know much about big Harleys. Maybe another Forum member can shed some light on the Lost-Spark system.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said "wasted spark" rather than "lost". Harley Davidson used it on their V twin engines - and it is a system extensively used elsewhere.

(It means the plugs spark on the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke at the same time so the exhaust spark is "wasted".)

Last edited by Ray White on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pulling up the photo, Chris.
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted spark is almost universally used on small single cylinder 4 stroke engines with the magneto in the flywheel such as those used on lawn mowers, garden cultivators and such.

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
Wasted spark is almost universally used on small single cylinder 4 stroke engines with the magneto in the flywheel such as those used on lawn mowers, garden cultivators and such.

Thanks for the correction, Alan. I have amended my post accordingly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: