classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1937 Talbot 3-Litre "garage find"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Author Message
alastairq



Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Posts: 1541
Location: East Yorkshire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
It is surprising how quickly a garage can fill with fumes.


Like my kitchen at tea time?
_________________
Dellow Mk2, 1951 built, reg 1952.
Ford Mustang coupe, 1967, 6 cylinder auto.
Fiat 126 BIS
Cannon special [1996 registered. Built in 1950's]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 4211
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Ray White wrote:
It is surprising how quickly a garage can fill with fumes.


Like my kitchen at tea time?


I have some lightweight trunking that clamps on the end of the exhaust and routed out the back door of the garage.

In Rick's case, the exhaust on the Talbot is somewhat non existent ...

Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21781
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
alastairq wrote:
Ray White wrote:
It is surprising how quickly a garage can fill with fumes.


Like my kitchen at tea time?


I have some lightweight trunking that clamps on the end of the exhaust and routed out the back door of the garage.

In Rick's case, the exhaust on the Talbot is somewhat non existent ...

Laughing


With the big garage doors open, the fumes blew down into the bottom garage so where we were wasn't all that fumey, we didn't stay in for long.

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Radioman



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

I am avidly following this series of videos - there's something indefinably exciting about getting something going after decades of unuse. A bit like Snow White and love's first kiss !

If you had still been struggling to start her I would have suggested running the ignition coil off a separate 12V battery, to make sure it got full whack even with the starter battery flagging. Also, the old books used to recommend pouring boiling water over an old towel, squeezing it out and laying it on the inlet manifold. Idea was to vapourise any liquid petrol. Mind you, petrol in those days was more paraffin like and sluggish to evaporate in cold weather. I expect an electric heat gun would work as well.

A bit off topic - I watched "The Dig" on Netflix, where Edith Pretty is chauffered around in a limousine with those big headlights and trumpet horns. Couldn't decide on the make (not a Talbot !) but very much the same "I'm Important" look.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peter scott



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 6576
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radioman wrote:

A bit off topic - I watched "The Dig" on Netflix, where Edith Pretty is chauffered around in a limousine with those big headlights and trumpet horns. Couldn't decide on the make (not a Talbot !) but very much the same "I'm Important" look.


Welcome to the forum Radioman.

It looks like a Lagonda LG45 in the images I've seen.

Peter


_________________
http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk
1939 SS Jaguar 2 litre saloon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21781
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radioman wrote:
Hi Rick

I am avidly following this series of videos - there's something indefinably exciting about getting something going after decades of unuse. A bit like Snow White and love's first kiss !

If you had still been struggling to start her I would have suggested running the ignition coil off a separate 12V battery, to make sure it got full whack even with the starter battery flagging. Also, the old books used to recommend pouring boiling water over an old towel, squeezing it out and laying it on the inlet manifold. Idea was to vapourise any liquid petrol. Mind you, petrol in those days was more paraffin like and sluggish to evaporate in cold weather. I expect an electric heat gun would work as well.

A bit off topic - I watched "The Dig" on Netflix, where Edith Pretty is chauffered around in a limousine with those big headlights and trumpet horns. Couldn't decide on the make (not a Talbot !) but very much the same "I'm Important" look.


Thanks for joining in, glad you found the vids of interest. Another trick that I was thinking of employing, which I had to use on big Dodge years ago, was to heat the plugs up with a blowlamp before re-installing them and then trying for a start. Fortunately I didn't need to in this case.

I've been removing the old coolant hoses over the last couple of days, some of them were a trial to get off after all this time but they're off now, with no damage to adjoining pipework etc. While I'm at it, I'll clean the o/s of the engine bay a little.

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21781
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a bid to try running the engine for longer, I've spent time recently on the cooling system, in particular removing the many hardened old rubber hoses and the thermostat assembly, as mentioned before. This and more is covered in today's YT upload, hopefully soon I'll be in a position to have it running for longer and try the gears.



https://youtu.be/5pMNae7fO-s

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rootes75



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 3149
Location: The Somerset Levels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting watchingvthe videos Rick, keep them coming.

I have taken some of our Hillman 80 running with the bonnet up so I will post a link to it.
_________________
1937 Ford 7w
1937 Hillman 80
1946 ERF C.I.5
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
petelang



Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 311
Location: Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see continued progress Rick.
In my coolant I have added Morris oils "Ankersol" corrosion inhibitor. It makes it go a vivid fluorescent green colour which is very useful for finding any weeps but it seems to do whats intended too and inhibits development of corrosion, as found when I had to drain down for a job a year or two later.
I did as you said, initially a lesser volume of antifreeze until it was clearly watertight and then increased it to near 50%..
Glad to see that big old thermostat still works after so long. Good old British engineering for those who always knock what we used to make.
8 wonder if the average BMW stat would still operate after 50 years?
Peter
_________________
Daimler Fifteen 1934
Armstrong Siddeley 15 Long 1933
Daimler V8 250 196
Daimler DS420 's x 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21781
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fired up the Talbot again today for another quick test, the PC was out of bounds thanks to home-schooling (and the laptop throwing a wobbler when we tried to use MS Teams on it for online lessons) so it made sense to have a little tinker outside.

The thermostat opened as it should but the top hose, while it doesn't appear to leak, doesn't have the strength to deal with hot coolant passing through it, so I'm working on an alternative to it right now.

Small steps, small steps ...

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peter_L



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 2612
Location: New Brunswick. Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:


The thermostat opened as it should but the top hose, while it doesn't appear to leak, doesn't have the strength to deal with hot coolant passing through it, so I'm working on an alternative to it right now.
RJ


Hi Rick, you could wrap it in Blue Tape. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MVPeters



Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 756
Location: Northern MA, USA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick

Do you have a 2" diameter spring, about 18" long, in your spring box'o'bits?
_________________
Mike - MVPeters at comcast.net
2002 Mini Cooper 'S'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21781
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
Rick

Do you have a 2" diameter spring, about 18" long, in your spring box'o'bits?


Alas no, but the plan is to come up with a more long-term solution, the top hose needs replacing anyway.

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21781
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Last weekend I managed to spend a lot of time working on the Talbot. It was reluctant to fire up, which was something of a surprise given how readily it had started at my previous attempt only a week or two earlier. It turned out that the old points were so worn that they struggled to fully close ever.

I also came up with an improvised solution to the top hose issue, which finally enabled me to fully fill up the cooling system and check for leaks etc elsewhere, including the radiator.



The main driver in all this though was to see if the gears would actually select, and the clutch work as intended, so that the car could be driven under its own power for the first time in 45 years. That was an exciting day.

I uploaded a new vid today covering all of this latest excitement.

https://youtu.be/fAKD7lQnkko

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kevin2306



Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 1351
Location: nr Llangollen, north wales

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic progress Rick, I look forward to seeing this around the shows in the future.

Kev
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Forum T&C


php BB powered © php BB Grp.