classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A particular vehicle you never quite had.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I just got my drivers license (1982) I went to a scrapyard to get something for my 2CV. In the corner under half of a roof there was this DS convertible. They would sell it for 1000 guilders - about 400 euros. Not exactly scrapyard money but also not expensive. However it was too much for me - I just had bought the 2CV for 50 guilders and no way I would have 1000. The DS ran but was rusty. I knew already then that I would regret seeing the DS because they were very rare and very pretty.
Ten years later or so I went to the same scrap yard but of course it was gone.
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

I'm surprised MikeC can sleep at night Smile

RJ

There's no point regretting what might have been! In any case, even had I bought it, I doubt if I could have afforded to do much to it, so in all probability I would have sold it on pretty smartly - even a sizeable profit t the time wouldn't compare to what it ultimately achieved (after a very expensive restoration),
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
You beat me to it, Mike!

Diana had moved on from Yank Tanks and drove about in a Rolls Royce Corniche ( with the top down, of course!) by the time I moved to Sunningdale.

You do mean the car of course. Wink
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
Ray White wrote:
You beat me to it, Mike!

Diana had moved on from Yank Tanks and drove about in a Rolls Royce Corniche ( with the top down, of course!) by the time I moved to Sunningdale.

You do mean the car of course. Wink

Yes, I could have phrased it better!!!

Diana was a lovely person but tragedy was never far away.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:

This one?

The one in your picture is a 1955 (I think), but I seem to remember the one I was offered was a 1953. I could be wrong it was so long ago. It was a very pale blue with a white top and blue and white leather interior. Everything worked including the radio, the power top and electric windows. The body was dented and scratched, the top was ripped as were the seats. I have often wondered how such an expensive car could be so knocked about, when it was only 8 maybe 10 years old
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other pictures on the internet dated 1st January 1950 show this car registered PYP 64
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, that internet date is wrong, the car in the picture is a 1955 Series 62. I cheated and looked it up in a book.
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cadillac photo reminds me of my first attempt to acquire an automobile. In 1963, my Dad was preparing to trade in his 1956 Cadillac Sixty Special for a 1963 Oldsmobile Delta 88. The Caddy's seats were covered in bumpy plastic to protect the upholstery, so they were in mint condition. The body, a pale blue hue, was rust-free and perfectly straight. To fill with fuel, one pushed a button-size round lens in the middle of the tail light which caused the entire assembly to pop up revealing the filler cap . . . very classy. I loved that car. Knowing my Dad wasn't getting much for the trade-in, I begged him to give me the car and promised to pay him over time. He said no and went ahead with the deal. I was nine years old.
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 18, and a friend offered me his fabulous MG PA for £80. I didn't have the money though.
petelang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray but if I buy any more she will kill me and bury the remains under the patio...
Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's Uncle had a 1930 Austin Swallow saloon (like Trundles) which had lain in a dismantled state for half a century. On his demise I suggested to Auntie that I buy the car and restore it. Knowing my interest (obsession, some say) the rest of the family were therefore aghast when she GAVE IT AWAY to a family friend. !!!!!!!!!!!
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray.. and Hi to all OCC members and visitors.
Seriously "off topic" as regards to OCC.. but maybe not with regard to (human nature).. I couldn't think of a better phrase... Back in the 1970's the husband to a maternal Great Aunt passed away, age related... He was what one may describe as a "Master Carpenter"... if one could see the join, one was looking in the wrong place. There were no Routers - Planers - W.H You,s....
His entire workshop was sent to the dump.. 100%.. week's later when family visited... it was gone... My Great Aunt's reply..... "where were you all"...
Maybe years have mellowed me... maybe she had a point..
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
My wife's Uncle had a 1930 Austin Swallow saloon (like Trundles) which had lain in a dismantled state for half a century. On his demise I suggested to Auntie that I buy the car and restore it. Knowing my interest (obsession, some say) the rest of the family were therefore aghast when she GAVE IT AWAY to a family friend. !!!!!!!!!!!

My maternal grandmother had a 1930s Singer Coupe up on blocks in a rented garage for years, it was my grandad's but after he died in the mid-60s it was parked up. The week before dad met mum, my gran gave it away as she was fed up with paying for storage. He's never forgotten it.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is something one ever forgets. The initial anger may dissipate with time but the feelings of indignation remain with you.

My wife says she didn't quite know how to break it to me.! It had generally been assumed the Swallow would end up here. We even discussed whether or not I was physically fit enough to take on another rebuild. In a way, given the fact that I have needed to farm out the MG body - a far simpler job than a Swallow Saloon - perhaps serendipity has played a part. That's life I suppose. Rolling Eyes
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I don't think it is something one ever forgets. The initial anger may dissipate with time but the feelings of indignation remain with you.

My wife says she didn't quite know how to break it to me.! It had generally been assumed the Swallow would end up here. We even discussed whether or not I was physically fit enough to take on another rebuild. In a way, given the fact that I have needed to farm out the MG body - a far simpler job than a Swallow Saloon - perhaps serendipity has played a part. That's life I suppose. Rolling Eyes

Ouch. Which reminds me, the lady I bought my Minor two-seater from told me that she and her brother have (had?) a Swallow 7 tourer hidden away in a rented warehouse unit, tucked away behind a large amount of stored antique furniture etc. One day I'll follow it up, although I doubt I could afford it!!!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: