classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Balancing conrods & pistons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
MooiMeisie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Balancing conrods & pistons Reply with quote

With the carport too cold for comfort, the warmer workshop was more conducive for getting something done so de idea it was high time I started on the engine that I stripped down quite some time ago.
First will be balancing conrods and pistons, but first I will need to make a balancing jig, something I did in the ‘70s when preparing my Kent 1000 & 1640 racing engine.
Then I used a lab scale, one with weights that you shuffled along two bars, but don’t remember how I secured to end opposite the scale.
Looking at designs on YouTube and photos, showing very basic to complicated came up with my own thoughts, this time using a digital scale.
Photo shows the parts for mine that no doubt will need fine tuning.
Should have the parts cut and welded soon and giving me the opportunity to test the new 3m DIY power leads, replacing the near useless 1.5m long on my Clarke MIG

[IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h322/Geoff_Halstead/43F56270_1041_4527_8E0D_51D6F74798DD.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/IMG]

Geoff - Video to follow
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you again Geoff. The digital gremlins are at work with your link.... Stay Safe... we have come too far to fall before the final hurdle. Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff's pic
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a very similar balance. I was fortunate to have some material on the big end caps that I could grind for balance. There was nothing on the small ends I could safely remove but I had gudgeon pins with different hole sizes which was helpful and to balance out the differing piston weights I ground the ends of the pins. That said, I think if I were doing it again I'd counter bore the pins rather than grinding their ends.

Peter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: