classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Blackburn Buccaneer Low-Level
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Blackburn Buccaneer Low-Level Reply with quote

Many years ago, I was participating in a multinational exercise that included a squadron of RAF Buccaneers running their low-level attack mission. My F-106 squadron had trained for low-level intercepts, so this was an opportunity to test our skills against a highly proficient, low-altitude adversary.

Now, one must admit the Buccaneer is not a fetching airplane . . . warlike and fierce, but just not that good looking. So, our boys would joke with the Buccaneer crews that their best defense was that no adversary could gaze upon their airplane for more than a few seconds before having to avert his eyes or risk becoming airsick. This was not disrespect, just light-heated banter between competing squadrons.

Day One of the exercise dawned clear with bright sunshine. My flight of two interceptors was tasked with protecting an airfield from an expected low-level threat. We operated over flat desert terrain making it difficult to judge altitude using outside references on the ground.

As the attack commenced, we lit our afterburners and pointed our fighters toward the threat. Within a short time, I spotted a Buccaneer rocketing across the desert surface kicking up a rooster-tail of dust. I rolled in behind him and dropped down to his altitude to try for a "kill". Just then, we both crossed a narrow highway running perpendicular to our flight path. We were just above the pavement. Surprised by how low we were, I instinctively pulled up a couple of hundred feet. The Buccaneer didn't climb at all, but roared off down in the weeds. I could not catch him. I had missed the shot. Needless to say, my mistake cost me many RAF pints at the Fighter Bar that evening.

One last note. At the start of each mass mission debriefing, the Buccaneer Squadron would march into the auditorium on their knees singing:
"Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, it's off to work we go. We fly so low but we don't drink slow, Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho." Great stuff.
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papa Joe

Please keep the fabulous stories coming! I suspect quite a few of our members are pilots or ex-pilots.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story!

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere tales of Bucc(s) being flown under the high-mounted wing of a parked Blackburn Beverley.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Papa Joe

Please keep the fabulous stories coming! I suspect quite a few of our members are pilots or ex-pilots.

Keith

+1

I guess it was more scary for you following in his dust storm wake whilst he had a clear view.

Peter
Penguin45

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My late chum David was a Buc pilot. He would gleefully tell people that after being shot off the catapult on Ark Royal, they would retract the wheels and descend to cruising height!

Chris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: