classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Herald 13/60 restoration project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Herald 13/60 restoration project Reply with quote

Heralds are not that rare but to find one to restore that has so many new parts is; well, I think it is.

This is obviously going to be a labour of love - but if the correct fit and finish parts could be found, some of the lost costs might be ameliorated by faking a 2 litre "Vitesse".

My question is :

Would it be sacrilege to rebuild to anything other than an original 13/60 ? ....or is a fake still a fake?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1301970
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray. Is there a sharp line when something becomes a "fake" ?

Would Rick's beautiful "Green Giant" ever be thought of as a fake, and if we add new windows and fittings to a 19th century house does it make the house a fake.?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Herald 13/60 restoration project Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Heralds are not that rare but to find one to restore that has so many new parts is; well, I think it is.

This is obviously going to be a labour of love - but if the correct fit and finish parts could be found, some of the lost costs might be ameliorated by faking a 2 litre "Vitesse".

My question is :

Would it be sacrilege to rebuild to anything other than an original 13/60 ? ....or is a fake still a fake?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1301970

So long as it went back on the road, I'd not worry too much about it being factory original or not (DVLA notwithstanding). There are plenty of originals about. When a car ends up in pieces and is then passed through several sets of hands, the chances of it ever being rebuilt tend to slip further and further away, so if someone puts it back together, then go for it.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete.

I don't have the answer to your question as to where one draws the line. Many have tried but few have succeeded in convincingly defining a "fake". It is a controversial topic, for sure. All I do know is that compared with the ubiquitous 4 cylinder Herald - which is a pleasant enough little car - the 2 litre Vitesse was something of a pocket rocket in it's day and there is - and always has been a premium for cars that stand out against their more common place contemporaries.

I remember how much I loved the effortless acceleration of the Vitesse but I had, like many other young chaps then, very limited exposure to performance cars therefore today I look back with somewhat rose tinted spectacles .
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick. I agree that the best outcome for a car like this is for it to be returned to the road. Perhaps my question about authenticity is no longer relevant; if it ever was.?
TriumphDriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you're going to take a Herald 13/60 four cylinder and make it into a Vitesse 6-cylinder? It can certainly be done, as long as you take into account the necessities of upgrading brakes etc. Is the question, should it be done? I'd say: why not? Legally it will always be a Herald 13/60 in terms of identity, but if it's modified sensibly and safely, and there's no attempt to pass it off as a genuine Vitesse to any buyers, then I don't see any problems. The commission number will always indicate a Herald, and it's the easiest way to tell, as with many of the 'convertibles' that sellers claim are genuine and which just turn out to be saloons with the roof taken off...
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone would take the effort to bring up a Herald from its grave and modify it to whatever they like, I would applaud it. Always better than not doing anything.
Owners can do with their cars what they like. As said there are enough original examples around.
As for values, original usually is king but good sensible modifications also can hold their value.

That said I have to say the 13/60 bonnet never looked good to me. The 1200 or 12/50 yes please, or the Vitesse yes in a different kind of way. But not the 13/60.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: