classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

non-sellers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: non-sellers Reply with quote

There are cars that are difficult to sell. As a hobby - what other explanation is there - I browse through online adverts for classic cars. There are a couple of cars that have been on the market for years now. It seems impossible to find a long term owner for them.

As an example there is this pretty Austin A55 Cambridge. Really rare - there only three others known in the Netherlands. Very fifties colour, there is not much wrong with the car. It has been on the market for at least four or five years. Maybe it has had new owners but it seems it is always advertised.

https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1645349283

There are a few others around too. A fifties Hillman Minx at a dealer, and a sixties Super Minx at another dealer. A TR6 project at a dealer which is not expensive.

I am lucky not to have to sell cars much. I struggled with the sale of my 1961 Hillman Minx a couple of years ago but eventually that found a good owner. For a very low price but I was glad to see it go to an enthusiast.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the A55 isn't as tidy as the photos suggest, some of the panels look like they could be a different shade to the rest. The photos aren't great, which may be slowing down its sale also.

Were all export A55s column shift gearchange?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that the A55 is not in top condition. But then it is not offered for a top price.
Yes - as far as I know, and in our local BMC club, all A55 sold here had column change. It was a very common thing. Most French cars had column change throughout the sixties as well. I learned to drive a car in my fathers 1972 Peugeot 404 with column change.
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars that are hard to sell are usually because either they are over priced, or because they are not as good as described (and hence probably again, overpriced for their condition). Plus, some cars simply don't fire the imagination. However, I would imagine that if in the UK, this example would probably do well, since Farina Oxfords and Cambridges seem to be gaining in value and popularity.

At the moment, of course, lockdown makes it very difficult to buy or sell outside your own immediate area.
Boring Tucson SUV
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baby seat is interesting!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in the fifties at my Dad's garage and we had column change Consuls and Zephyrs too, plus of course a pre-select Daimler which was column change I seem to recall. The 504 had one, and of course we had that wonderful Renault 4L and 2CV changes too. Later cars include the Saab 96 and the dear Trabant, and going back Chrysler had them prewar. "Three on the tree" was very common in the USA before "four on the floor" took over, especially on the muscle cars such as the Pontiac GTO, the Torino and Camaro SS just to name three. Remind me of some more please!
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 'fifties column changes were more common than floor changes; Fiats, Lancias and Alfa Romeos were all column changes as were Opels, BMW, Mercedes, Borgward in Germany, Peugeots, Renaults and Simcas in France, and in the UK Jowetts, Austins & Morris, Fords, Vauxhalls, Rootes Group cars, Standards, etc. It was only the smaller cars like Minors and A30/35s, and the more sporting cars that had a floor change.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three on the Tree didn't apply to the Austins or I think the Rootes vehicles, I remember them as having a pull out knob on the end of the lever to clear the reverse detent.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the examples I quoted had four-speed gearboxes, so yes, some sort of 'lock' to prevent engaging reverse was necessary, just like with floor-change systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: