classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Keeping the systems in fine fettle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Keeping the systems in fine fettle? Reply with quote

Hi folks, are you doing much with your car(s) to keep them on form, given how little opportunity there is to use oldies lately? I'm thinking tyres, brakes, engine etc etc?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
COMMAD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Luckily Down under in Queensland, we are in mid summer, due to Covid a lot of larger car gathering are being postponed, but we can still do local club runs, and cars on open registration, are still able to be used daily, only thing is with State borders, having border checks we tend to stay in our own area. Hopefully when the Virus is sorted, the Worlds Historic motoring Enthusiasts can get back to normal.. Very Happy
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topped up the anti-freeze. Nothing more.

Peter
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumped the tyres up to 40 psi to avoid flat spots, drained the rads a bit and topped up the antifreeze, but with the garage now fully insulated it hasn't gone under 5C this winter so really didn't need to bother.Then I find that the "tubeless" tyres sold by MWS leak after a while, so have to order five tubes now. Before you say anything, I discussed it with MWS because I was having fitted five new Blockley radials at the same time and they told me not to bother. Silly me.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run my two up to temperature recently, but I need to move them to make sure the brakes are OK - not least because I've swapped the front discs on the Firenza and want to make sure they're bled properly and have a decent pedal feel.

But, I'm not going to do that until it's a bit drier and warmer. At the moment it seems to be one or the other - it only warms up when it rains.
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cold here, but I ran the '32 Chevy a few days ago to keep the juices flowing. I noticed the engine was hesitating when accelerated, so I adjusted the Carter carb a bit. Ran better, but still a slight hesitation. Wondering if it could be the accelerator pump or maybe just the cold air. I have a period correct Stromberg carb that many of the vintage rally drivers use, and I'm thinking about fitting it to see if it solves the problem. Only problem is, I'm a firm believer in the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" philosophy. Any opinions?

Joe
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaJoe wrote:
It's cold here, but I ran the '32 Chevy a few days ago to keep the juices flowing. I noticed the engine was hesitating when accelerated, so I adjusted the Carter carb a bit. Ran better, but still a slight hesitation. Wondering if it could be the accelerator pump or maybe just the cold air. I have a period correct Stromberg carb that many of the vintage rally drivers use, and I'm thinking about fitting it to see if it solves the problem. Only problem is, I'm a firm believer in the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" philosophy. Any opinions?

Joe

I would think if the problem has not shown itself before now then assuming the carb has not been touched it is not likely to be the culprit.

There is a saying that most carburettor faults are ignition based!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the 37 Hillman 80 up recently, she has been sat idle for so long now. She turned over very well. We gave her a good check round too, oil, water, tyres etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: