classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

which connector?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
DM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

It looks like the small wire from the alternator eventually goes to the ammeter at A.

Sorry but that is wrong,there is an error in Dave's diagram (easily done).

The small wire from the alternator is the warning light connection which according to the pos earth instructions should go to earth.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:
Ray White wrote:

It looks like the small wire from the alternator eventually goes to the ammeter at A.

The small wire from the alternator is the warning light connection which according to the pos earth instructions should go to earth.

That is how I have drawn it.

The problem I have is that you say the heavy wire should go to the A post on the ammeter but if I do that then there will be two heavy wires from the battery to the ammeter; one on each terminal. Can this be correct?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Well spotted! you are right if you look carefully I did have a link between 86 & 30 but when I reviewed it must have thought I was looking at one of the headlamp relays so erased it Confused
DM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

The problem I have is that you say the heavy wire should go to the A post on the ammeter but if I do that then there will be two heavy wires from the battery to the ammeter; one on each terminal. Can this be correct?

It is not correct, the batt -ve connects to the starter switch and the ammeter B terminal.
Ammeter A terminal connects to the alternator output and the A terminal on the ignition switch.
DM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
DM wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Well spotted! you are right if you look carefully I did have a link between 86 & 30 but when I reviewed it must have thought I was looking at one of the headlamp relays so erased it Confused

Had plenty of practice drawing schmatics, many years ago I reverse engineered all the circuit boards for the then current range of Wetrok floor cleaning machines,then repaired over 6500 of the flipping circuit boards.
Largest board had thousands of tracks all metered or tracked by eye.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone with, at best, a vague understanding of electrics I am struggling with all this.

There is a heavy 45 amp wire from the alternator to the - terminal on the starter switch. A similar wire goes from there to the ammeter which according to the TC wiring diagram connects to the B terminal. I am being told here, however, that it should be the A terminal.

Hence my confusion.
DM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternator 45A wire should go to the ammeter A terminal (via the A terminal on the regulator if neccesary).

The same size wire should go from the -Ve terminal on the starter switch to the ammeter B terminal.

Then the meter will correctly display the battery charge or discharge current.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:
The alternator 45A wire should go to the ammeter A terminal (via the A terminal on the regulator if neccesary).

The same size wire should go from the -Ve terminal on the starter switch to the ammeter B terminal.

Then the meter will correctly display the battery charge or discharge current.

So I will have TWO 45 amp wires from the battery to the ammeter; one to the A terminal and one to the B terminal?
DM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no wire going from the batt -ve to the ammeter A terminal.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:

but you have just said "the alternator 45A wire should go to the ammeter A terminal...."

?

I only have two wires from the alternator. One is a small wire that goes to the warning light and ignition switch via the relay to earth and the other, an A45 wire which goes to the - terminal on the starter switch - which is fed straight from the battery. This is then taken too the B terminal on the ammeter.
DM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
DM wrote:

but you have just said "the alternator 45A wire should go to the ammeter A terminal...."

?

I only have two wires from the alternator. One is a small wire that goes to the warning light and ignition switch via the relay to earth and the other, an A45 wire which goes to the - terminal on the starter switch - which is fed straight from the battery. This is then taken too the B terminal on the ammeter.

The ammeter shunt itself is the connection from the alternator to the battery -ve, you do not need to have a wire from the batt -ve to the ammeter A terminal otherwise you are bypassing the ammeter and it will do nothing.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dennis. I will sleep on it.

The alternator has a 45 amp wire going to the battery. It does not go to A on the ammeter. There is a smaller wire which goes to the ignition switch via the warning light and relay and earth.

There are no other wires from the alternator to A on the ammeter.

What must I do to get this right please?
DM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are getting confused working from two wiring diagrams, one with and one without an ammeter.

The diagram I posted Monday on the RF95 voltage regulator thread shows how the alternater needs to be connected.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:
I think you are getting confused working from two wiring diagrams, one with and one without an ammeter.

The diagram I posted Monday on the RF95 voltage regulator thread shows how the alternater needs to be connected.

Yes. The diagram you posted shows output from the alternator to the ammeter.

The instructions with the Stealth Dynamater have the outlet going to the battery and do not mention the ammeter.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray. I cannot know if you have ever Googled "Ammeter" Car Ammeters are generally centre zero, A car ammeter doesn't care which way around it is wired. With the connections in 1 configuration the meter will show to the - side when the alternator is not turning and a light or something is switched on. If it is showing to the plus side with no alternator and a light on then just reverse the cables on the back of the meter. So in a drawing, like Dave posted, there is no right or wrong way around it is just a drawing.

A simple drawing here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: