classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

double trouble or twice as reliable?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: double trouble or twice as reliable? Reply with quote

Perhaps someone could explain what is going on here and how it is wired?

This XPAG engine is being supplied with two petrol pumps and two coils. Seemingly two condensers are needed as well?

DM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second coil is not wired, it is in place as a spare allowing the wires to be quickly swapped over.
Can’t see the wires and pipes on the second pump but expect it is a spare as well.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:
The second coil is not wired, it is in place as a spare allowing the wires to be quickly swapped over.
Can’t see the wires and pipes on the second pump but expect it is a spare as well.

Sent you a PM.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the low tension of the two coils are connected (via two condensers) somehow.

The two pumps are also in tandem.

Worth doing? or overkill?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe used for long-distance rallies?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Maybe used for long-distance rallies?

RJ

The car is a TA and has (wiseley, in my opinion) been fitted with an XPAG engine. It has definitely been used for some long distance runs. Hence the velcro!

Here it is. Nice one I think.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1162820
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see anything more than installed redundancy with a very simple changeover system. The unused coil has no electrical connection.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems typical of a vehicle used on events focussed on 'reliability' [such as , classic reliability trials?] where the first objective is to 'finish'...regardless of one's performances during the event.

Motor sporting events such as the one I mentioned above do not permit backup support, such as a convoy of vans and posh gazebos to service, maintain & repair competing vehicles.
In fact, aside from the friendly co-competitors help, one is very much on one's own.
Hence, to enhance the ability to finish, all weak points which prevent onward motion are duplicated...preferably sited to avoid spending too much time conked out.
In the above mentioned type of events, competitors often carry a spare differential or two in the back...possibly the odd replacement alternator [engines can be bump started].....and duplicated ignition & fuel components..

Throttle cables duplicated, etc etc....
Nowt worse than knowing one can fix it and get going again...if only one had that simple, easy to carry component.
[Often a fellow competitor can help one out, but don't bank on it.]
I believe these posh classic rallies operate on a similar principle, but cost one heck of a lot more.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I see is a wire connected to the lower post of the top coil that joins the lower post of the bottom coil. It seems to be connected to two condensers.

The petrol pumps are plumbed together but I can't confirm their electrical connection.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To utilise Coil 2, move the LT cable and HT Cable. Ignore the capacitor, only one is in circuit.

SU Pumps. The male spade connector on the one nearest the camera has no cable, part of the spade is visible.

It is all what it is, there is nothing other than redundancy and easy change over.
I had a Mini with which we did considerable long distance trips across West and East Europe then a much modified Cortina Estate that did similar and North Africa. Multiple redundancy and spares were order of the day. Example: The Mini also had three petrol pumps. Two connected to the two isolated fuel tanks, installed as per the Mini Cooper and a none connected spare.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this set up there won't be a reliability improvement ; if either the coil or pump fail, it still involves stopping, opening the bonnet and swapping a wire.

To change a coil or fuel pump (with the spare unit in the boot) is a 5-10 min job, so the only benefit in having them fitted this way is where speed is important, as Alastair comments its probably originally from a competitive set up where 5 mins time saved could be critical.

For authenticity they could loose the modern blue B&Q plastic crimp on the fuel pump!!

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

For authenticity they could loose the modern blue B&Q plastic crimp on the fuel pump!!

Dave

I think if authenticity was important it would have an MPJG (rather than XPAG) engine. Wink
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-types always had two coils, ready for a swap if one failed:-

peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

Paralleling the pumps will permit greater flow rate but I doubt that tht would be required with the XPAG. The 3½ litre SS Jaguar used this arrangement but I don't think it was even necessary there. Fitting the double contacts is well worthwhile though for reliability.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Paralleling the pumps will permit greater flow rate but I doubt that tht would be required with the XPAG. The 3½ litre SS Jaguar used this arrangement but I don't think it was even necessary there. Fitting the double contacts is well worthwhile though for reliability.

Peter

I have seen two pumps fitted to other cars where a supercharger is used but I don't know if this was done from experience or as a precaution. Mine has the larger 1 3/4" SU (as opposed to the 1 1/2") and having been advised that the engine runs better with being a bit richer I wonder if I will need two pumps?

I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Let's see how it goes first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: