classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electric car conversions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Electric car conversions Reply with quote

Not classic specific, but I found this article interesting so fellow forum members may do likewise:
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/easy-cheap-convert-car-electric-181641221.html
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a classic car show a couple of years ago where Edd China was booked to give a talk, the theme of his pitch was that the future of the classic movement was dependent on us converting our cars to electric Shocked not the talk that the audience was expecting!
Miken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I was at a classic car show a couple of years ago where Edd China was booked to give a talk, the theme of his pitch was that the future of the classic movement was dependent on us converting our cars to electric Shocked not the talk that the audience was expecting!

I agree with him. In 15-20 years time I think there will be an awful lot of cheap/unuseable/unsellable/unwanted old cars cluttering up people's garages.
10 years from now, would you gamble a chunk of money in buying an old car that you might or might not be able to use for very long?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dn't agree. Polltuion is caused by everyday cars, which ours are not. The DVLA monitored the average mileage of classics for years by the MOT declarations, finding out that the average mileage is around 500 per year. I know of one owner who has eight cars and not one has moved for several years. because the average mileage is so low and accident rate miniscule they dropped the MOT requirement. I believe that if the 40 year rule continues, then these cars will continue to be driven and used, albeit in small doses. It is the Mondeo, the Insignia, the everyday major production cars that will vanish and we'll all have an electric car for everyday use. But our classic will still be there, even if some do go to the crusher.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen Fuel Cell is a much better direction than batteries for everyday transport. It's currently held back by the lack of filling stations but if everyone chose the battery option then we would need at least as much investment in power generation and the grid network and especially if we wanted Tesla fast charging. "Fast" charging is still 20 to 30 minutes and doesn't compare with 3 minutes for filling a hydrogen tank.

With a network of hydrogen filling stations like there is in Los Angeles there's no reason why us oldies couldn't run our internal combustion engines if we exchanged our petrol tanks for an H2 tank.

https://youtu.be/l6ECwRnJ0Sg

https://youtu.be/euUiIjXA-zc

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen has to be the answer doesn't it?

Filling up would, however, need to be less of a faff than LPG is at present.

Then again, electric plug in is never going to be any good.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the VHS V Betamax competition in the 80's, Betamax was the superior product, Sony's marketing strategy wasn't well executed so VHS won the day.....

Unless something changes quickly I fear that Hydrogen will miss the boat...
Miken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen may be better, but the point is that I don't think anyone is seriously planning a hydrogen infrastructure. Whereas electric charge points are being commissioned at a rate of around 500-700 every 30 days in the UK. I think that by the time hydrogen is readily available ICE powered cars will be long gone.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Reminds me of the VHS V Betamax competition in the 80's, Betamax was the superior product, Sony's marketing strategy wasn't well executed so VHS won the day.....

Do not forget V2000 from Philips. I thought that was the superior product but it lost out to better marketing of VHS.
Doesn't matter now of course who was the better (I still am hesitant to throw away our V2000 video recorder from the mid 80s), everything now is "taped" up and saved to the cloud.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:

Do not forget V2000 from Philips. I thought that was the superior product but it lost out to better marketing of VHS.
Doesn't matter now of course who was the better (I still am hesitant to throw away our V2000 video recorder from the mid 80s), everything now is "taped" up and saved to the cloud.

You are right, my first job was working for Sharp in the 80's; we studied all the video formats, the problem V2000 had was that by the time it reached the market VHS and Betamax had established market share, unfortunately its all about marketing Sad
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2000 wasn't any better in picture quality than VHS but it did have the nice piezo mounted heads for auto-tracking.

We will need to generate hydrogen to feed our extensive gas network for home heating. It's also possible that hydrogen filling stations could generate locally.

If we are seriously going to use wind, wave and solar power sources then storage will be essential. Storing hydrogen is much better than storing in electrical batteries.

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spied a hydrogen setup at a Shell garage some time back (it used to sell LPG), plus I've read about synthetic fuels which may be suitable for ICEs, so I wouldn't be selling off my old clunkers just yet.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are, I believe, being led to believe in a lie. Wind turbines for example are not as "green" as one might imagine.

Ever heard of SF6?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49567197
norustplease

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something else to think about when opting for an electric car....ozone pollution.

https://www.science20.com/news_articles/solving_ozone_problem_caused_electric_cars-78149#:~:text=Ozone%20is%20a%20known%20pollutant,respiratory%20system%20and%20sensitive%20plants.&text=When%20PHEVs%20run%20off%20battery,batteries%20do%20give%20off%20pollutants.

No such thing as a free lunch.
Boring Tucson SUV
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like only last week there was a big hole in the Ozone layer at the pole due to our use of refrigerant and this was contributing to global warming and destruction of the ice.
So, surely, the making of Ozone is not a bad thing?
Ozone does appear naturally as a result of wave action on shores as well. Or are certain scientists trying to find excuses?
No wonder there is mistrust.
Everyone is telling us different stories.
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: