classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Moderns can rust
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Moderns can rust Reply with quote

A 4 year old clean looking top of the range Honda with a very rotten sill Shocked presumably repaired under the manufacturers warranty, very odd:

https://youtu.be/rW4Ql4DNgwc
MrWhite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Old habits die hard' and this is one of the car makers oldest but still serves them well when it comes to killing cars off, so you have to buy a new one Rolling Eyes
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 'moderns', I would include anything made this century [for me, the years pass, but I hardly notice them these days].....the prevalence of plastic panels, sill covers, wheel arch covers, etc says to me that makers aren't bothered if the underneath steel rots out, as owners won't see it until it's far too late, and the vehicle ends up scrapped as a result.

[A case of, perhaps, ''what the eye cannot see, the heart doesn't worry about?'']

The Honda's rot was in plain view. Or so it appeared.

How many moderns are hiding stuff like that underneath the sill covers, eh?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking at any Jaguar made this century. F-types are known to have rusty rear suspension after one year, and the S-types and X-types are disappearing at a great rate of knots. It seems that the inner sills on an X-type have no protection whatsoever.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWhite wrote:
'Old habits die hard' and this is one of the car makers oldest but still serves them well when it comes to killing cars off, so you have to buy a new one Rolling Eyes

Another trick is making sure you can't get hold of small bits that end up being critical to gain an MOT pass... these guys know what they're doing right enough Evil or Very Mad
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Try looking at any Jaguar made this century. F-types are known to have rusty rear suspension after one year, and the S-types and X-types are disappearing at a great rate of knots. It seems that the inner sills on an X-type have no protection whatsoever.

So true!
When I bought our 2004 X-type estate four years ago it was rust free on the body. Half a year later, because I read many horror stories on Jag forums, I decided to take a look and took off the plastic sill covers. Both sills were covered in much surface rust. I was lucky and just in time - no rot through and I was able to de-rust it and put zinc paint over it. Few months ago I inspected it again and it held well - no further rust.
I am sure if I had taken no action the car would need new sills by now.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a couple of X Type owners who have found the sills to be rotten both around the 14 year mark, one car was scrapped and the other repaired, the latter then developed a gearbox fault at 180,00 miles that resigned it to the scrap yard .

I suppose for some perspective "classic" mini owners would have bitten you hand off for sills that lasted 14 years!

One reason I posted the original post, is the peculiarity of the corrosion; when the outer sill is removed the inner looks as if its just come out of the factory? There didn't appear to be any sign of a previous repair, the sill isn't covered with plastic, yet it was so corroded that holes could be easily poked through it Shocked if it had corroded from the inside there surely would have damage to the inner sill, corrosion from the outside would had bubbling flaky paint long before the steel was perforated, something that would have been noticed by the owner of a new top end Honda?

Any thoughts?

dave
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it anything to do with the grade of steel used?
In other words, what has been mixed into the steel itself?

I know FIAT had an issue with the steel sheet they got from Russia as part of the Lada deal....Seemed to rot from its own insides?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
MrWhite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just have to treat modern cars like they do the classics on TV. When you get them home, strip them down, labeling and cataloging all the parts and send the body to the sandblasters.
Re-building obviously being a reversal of the above procedure, according to Haynes, then you will have the car you actually thought you had bought Cool
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWhite wrote:
I think you just have to treat modern cars like they do the classics on TV. When you get them home, strip them down, labeling and cataloging all the parts and send the body to the sandblasters.
Re-building obviously being a reversal of the above procedure, according to Haynes, then you will have the car you actually thought you had bought Cool

Many a truth spoken in jest... I find my moderns - none exactly new, but not decrepit either - need just as much TLC as a classic to keep rust away from the underbody, just as much scraping, brushing, painting and waxing... because although the factory paintwork lasts a few years longer nowadays they ultimately have just as many mud and salt traps built into the structure as the cars of 50 years ago, they just look a bit different Rolling Eyes
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (my wife and I) have had Lexus cars in recent years. They are not just about the most reliable and superbly built vehicles available but sufficient care has been taken to ensure they will be with us for many years to come.

That kind of protection and attention to detail doesn't come cheap. It is unfortunate that less expensive cars are not built to last because it falls to younger drivers to pick up the pieces - and they deserve better.
jddevel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Modern cars do rust Reply with quote

Although slightly off subject thought I`d mention that in the last few days I`ve been stripping back to bare metal, panels on my `48 MGTC using electrolysis in a barrel of caustic soda. Pleased with the ease and result.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Modern cars do rust Reply with quote

jddevel wrote:
Although slightly off subject thought I`d mention that in the last few days I`ve been stripping back to bare metal, panels on my `48 MGTC using electrolysis in a barrel of caustic soda. Pleased with the ease and result.

I have all my TC panels to strip yet and it would be interesting to learn more about the process. Would it be possible to elaborate on what you have done please?. TC wings are quite a big lump to do in one go. I should have imagined you would need a big bath tub!

I may need to have my panels blasted as the p/o painted straight over rusty original. Not even a primer.
The only advantage is that the paint comes off quite easily!
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago I had a quite new Fiat Punto ( yes, I know!) as my drive to work.
It was 4 years old when it developed an oil leak.
I was poking about with a screwdriver under it one day. I prodded the sump and the screwdriver went straight through the side.
This did not improve the oil leak at all.
It was also, possibly the least likely part of a car I would expect to corrode through.
It turned out that Fiat plastic coated the sumps on these cars, moisture got behind the coating and soon eat through the steel.
Later a new guy started at work with a similar car and asked me "have you had a new sump yet". So, a common problem.
The replacement sumps were painted steel only.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
I prodded the sump and the screwdriver went straight through the side.
This did not improve the oil leak at all.

The opposite I would think! Very Happy

Miken wrote:
It turned out that Fiat plastic coated the sumps on these cars, moisture got behind the coating and soon eat through the steel.
Later a new guy started at work with a similar car and asked me "have you had a new sump yet". So, a common problem.
The replacement sumps were painted steel only.

Amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: