classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Help needed wiring in heater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Help needed wiring in heater. Reply with quote

The four wires red, black, orange and yellow are attached at the blower end by a multi connector. The other ends are to be connected to the blower switch.

The switch has five terminals:yellow (low), red(medium) and orange (high).

The 5th terminal is for a 12v feed. Is it B or C ? and does it depend on positive or negative earth?

The relay has a white wire from 85 to (presumably?)a wire from the switch... if so which one?

The next question concerns the yellow wire from 87 on the relay. It presumably joins to the other end of the same wire that goes to the blower. If so, which one?

In other words I wish to put a relay in between the switch and the heater but I don't know which wire to cut.

I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by Ray White on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed wiring in heater. Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
The next question concerns the yellow wire from 87 on the relay. It presumably joins to the other end of the same wire that goes to the blower. If so, which one?

As I see it, you'd need to have three relays, one for each speed, and wire them individually to control the L, M and H wires from the switch to the fan motor. It'll be interesting to see whether anyone more knowledgeable has a better solution, but I can't see how you could keep the speeds separate using a single relay.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would only require a single relay for the 12v feed.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
You would only require a single relay for the 12v feed.

Dave

Forgive me but I thought the wire from the relay needed to be connected to a wire that took current from the switch rather than supplied current to it. ?

If that is right then perhaps the "B" outlet should go to the relay?
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the relay part of the kit or are you adding it? Only reason I ask is that it’s unusual for a heater fan circuit to require a relay.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
Is the relay part of the kit or are you adding it? Only reason I ask is that it’s unusual for a heater fan circuit to require a relay.

I am adding relays but you are right. I am thinking it is
not required and it's too much faffing about. I need to think what I am trying to protect. The switch. It is only worth a few pounds so not worth the time and trouble.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Minxy wrote:

I am adding relays but you are right. I am thinking it is
not required and it's too much faffing about. I need to think what I am trying to protect. The switch. It is only worth a few pounds so not worth the time and trouble.

Exactly. Relays are a good idea to protect original swichgear that is fragile, rare or both; but for modern generic switches that are readily and chaply available - and probably well able to handle more current than you'll be putting through them - they add nothing but complication and expense.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing which I am not sure about is what I need to do to about fitting the heater with my car being positive earth.

Because I don't really understand electrics I need to take advice to prevent me from making an expensive mistake. Will I need to swap over some wires or will the motor burn out run backwards?

Please help.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
or will the motor burn out run backwards?

I believe that a lot of modern motors are not polarity-conscious, so don't run backwards when voltage is applied the opposite way around to what was expected. I don't know how you would tell whether this is one, other than by applying voltage to it as an experiment.

No idea on the rest, sorry.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Ray White wrote:
or will the motor burn out run backwards?

I believe that a lot of modern motors are not polarity-conscious, so don't run backwards when voltage is applied the opposite way around to what was expected. I don't know how you would tell whether this is one, other than by applying voltage to it as an experiment.

No idea on the rest, sorry.

Thanks Mike. Do you know if that is what they call "series wound"? Perhaps that is what I need to find out?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Thanks Mike. Do you know if that is what they call "series wound"? Perhaps that is what I need to find out?

Sorry, I don't. That bit was pointed out to me when I posted in a discussion somewhere, the person had bought a cooling fan that fitted on the opposite side of the radiator to where they wanted to fit it, and moving it would cause it to turn the wrong way. Foolishly I posted "surely just reverse the feed wires?" and was jumped on very quickly.

Since then, and a few similar incidents, I try to phrase things in a way that (a) make them a question rather than a statement and (b) make it clear that I'm not certain, unless I am absolutely 100% certain.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an electric fan but the fitting instructions actually say it can be a "puller" or a "pusher" by switching polarity..

I have spoken to Car Builder Solutions about the heater and the guy said just reverse the wires for positive earth. Sounds simple enough! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: