classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car SOS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Car SOS Reply with quote

We have talked about this before, what car related programmes we find interesting but this time my reason for writing is more to do with another topic.

There are always discussions about the younger generation taking an interest in classic vehicles and to my surprise my youngest who is 9 asked the other day to watch Car SOS when he saw an advert for it. His reason was that they were restoring a wartime Austin Tilly and he is very keen on military vehicles.

My surprise was that it didn't stop there, in a week we have now watched 4 episodes and he want to keep going! His favourite has been the total restoration of a 1930 Ford Model A, obviously he now wants us to buy one!!

When I was putting him to bed last night I asked why he liked the programme and he said it was all due to Fuzz Townsend. How he looks, how he explains why and what he is actually doing and how he is cool!

We watched another programme last night and it was like a supercar type programme, they were given a race Ducati motorbike and they effectively pimped it up but yet it showed none of the 'how to' as my son likes to put it. He turned it off and watched another Car SOS.

It sort of re-kindled my liking for the shows format and was good for a bit of Father - Son bonding.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he is a chip off the old block. I am pleased for you. I think Fuzz Townshend is an excellent role model.

It would be interesting to know if your lad can see past the silliness of the other presenter?

My Dad once kindly helped me assemble my own tool kit. I still have the WW2 wooden ammunition box !
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear Rootes, my lad watches some of the TV programmes with me - he's quite vociferous that Bangers & Cash features too many modern Fords - but he's not lost his early interest in old jalopies yet despite the attractions of the X-Box and so on.

In fact, the X-Box has encouraged his knowledge in older cars, he drives so many different types in Forza Horizon that he's become very adept at identifying many old cars that I've no clue about Smile

I must admit that some of these driving games are excellent, we regularly go head-to-head in DBR1 Astons, Alfa 158s etc etc. Perhaps computer games will engender other youngsters to become aware of, and hopefully interested in, older cars?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, my son also loves Forza on his xbox.

He has quite a collection of oldies in his xbox garage ranging from a lovely prewar Bentley and a Model A Ford to Mini Coopers and Lotus Cortina's!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Sounds like he is a chip off the old block. I am pleased for you. I think Fuzz Townshend is an excellent role model.

It would be interesting to know if your lad can see past the silliness of the other presenter?

My Dad once kindly helped me assemble my own tool kit. I still have the WW2 wooden ammunition box !

Thats funny, after the first episode he watched he actually asked if he other guy was a Comedian rather than a mechanic!
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Car SOS Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:

There are always discussions about the younger generation taking an interest in classic vehicles and to my surprise my youngest who is 9 asked the other day to watch Car SOS when he saw an advert for it. His reason was that they were restoring a wartime Austin Tilly and he is very keen on military vehicles.

My surprise was that it didn't stop there,

That's great news! You've clearly got him well trained.

Peter
Sid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:

Thats funny, after the first episode he watched he actually asked if he other guy was a Comedian rather than a mechanic!

I fear he is neither. His ridiculous "schemes" were the main reason I stopped watching it.
If only Fuzz had his own show.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid wrote:
Rootes75 wrote:

I fear he is neither. His ridiculous "schemes" were the main reason I stopped watching it.

I think a good combination would be Fuzz Townshend, Ed China and Sam Lovegrove. If they HAVE to have a TV presenter then Henry Cole would be my choice.
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid wrote:
Rootes75 wrote:

I found Tim annoying as well. However it is not as bad as it seems.
Some guys from the Jensen Owners Club who dealt with him during an earlier rescue (Mitsu EVO4) said he was actually a very nice person and a proper gearhead. His presence on the show is not how he is in reality. He has just sold his Mustang and bought an Interceptor so that is a big plus in my book!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a year or two back that Fuzz had bought out the Oil Shop in Aylesbury, where I used to buy all my oils. I used to see the owner at his stand at Silverstone, and he was so knowledgeable that it was a pleasure just to stop and talk to him.

https://www.classic-oils.net/
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I noticed a year or two back that Fuzz had bought out the Oil Shop in Aylesbury, where I used to buy all my oils. I used to see the owner at his stand at Silverstone, and he was so knowledgeable that it was a pleasure just to stop and talk to him.

https://www.classic-oils.net/

I tend to buy a lot of my various oils from them. Very reasonable prices.

They're still apparently knowledgeable too.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like Fuzz and think him and Sam Lovegrove together with a decent presenter would make a really good watch.

They do though require a foil, and I don't mind Tim so much and at that the same with Henry Cole.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most stuff on commercial TV, I record it and watch it later. I can then skip past the adverts, and in this case, mostly skip past the "Tim" sections.

The most frustrating part is that if you see some of the repeats of earlier shows, some of his parts are quite interesting. I've seen one for example where he took something off to be chrome plated and they went through the various steps involved. It's far cry from some ridiculous quiz where he can "win" all the parts he needs for free, or pretending to break into a place in disguise to surprise someone.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who the producers think that the Tim sections will appeal too? if you are watching the program you are probably an enthusiast ; so its just obviously scripted & cringeworthy+ his antics are certainly not going to attract more viewers....
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, what do we reckon to antiques/salvage buff Drew Pritchard?

Sometimes I think he has a feel for classic cars but at other times I almost cringe. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: