classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car SOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
As an aside, what do we reckon to antiques/salvage buff Drew Pritchard?

Sometimes I think he has a feel for classic cars but at other times I almost cringe. Very Happy

Mmmm I think he knows a fair amount about certain old cars, eg VWs, but it makes me laugh when he goes on about keeping things 100% original on his main Salvage programme, then bu**ers about modifying cars (silly paint, interiors etc) in the classic car programme. Fortunately his sidekick in the cars programme keeps him on the straight and narrow, mostly.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself questioning the wisdom of 'personalising' a classic if you only intend to sell it on. Confused
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I turned the telly on a few weeks ago to watch some Motor Sport and was most disappointed to find it was blokes in dresses. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
As with most stuff on commercial TV, I record it and watch it later. I can then skip past the adverts, and in this case, mostly skip past the "Tim" sections.

The most frustrating part is that if you see some of the repeats of earlier shows, some of his parts are quite interesting. I've seen one for example where he took something off to be chrome plated and they went through the various steps involved. It's far cry from some ridiculous quiz where he can "win" all the parts he needs for free, or pretending to break into a place in disguise to surprise someone.

In the one we watched about the Model A, Tim actually took the headlights away to be re-made. It was quite a good piece showing how they are spun.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The desperate plight of owners (who are not supposed to know about the restoration) is often deeply moving.

Assuming that is the point of the programmes then I think the producers are to be commended. Wink
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the stories behind each restoration is very moving and well worth their efforts.

To me seeing countless shows where cars are simply bought to make a profit just doesn't do it for me.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I'm not sure who the producers think that the Tim sections will appeal too? if you are watching the program you are probably an enthusiast ; so its just obviously scripted & cringeworthy+ his antics are certainly not going to attract more viewers....

The non-enthusiasts, the people who just want something "exciting" to watch, the people who are responsible for all the false jeopardy that's inserted into all these otherwise perfectly interesting programmes. They're the people who get these programmes onto prime time unfortunately, without the entertainment parts they'd be stuck away on mid-afternoon TV like the Mark Evans programmes were.

Rootes75 wrote:
In the one we watched about the Model A, Tim actually took the headlights away to be re-made. It was quite a good piece showing how they are spun.

It's similar on the Drew Pritchard programme. Sometimes he'll go off and have a job done and we'll see what is involved, and that's quite interesting. He's done a steering wheel re-trim and some other bits and pieces that I recall, and on the main antiques programme they've spun it off into a separate show. But a lot of the time, he's just a bit annoying. Not always, but a lot of the time. I used to watch his antiques programme, but I think that's got worse as it's got more popular. I find it particularly annoying how they always go to an ad break when he's making an offer on something, and they all look sternly to camera.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: topic Reply with quote

agree Henry Cole shows real interest and nice pace that comes across as true enthusiast.Ed China is good as is Fuzz Townsend though sadly partner Tim comes across as a clown but that may be due to producers trying to to inject Pazzazz into show as they do with Ed Chinas opposite . shame as the clearly contrived set ups and just in time etc detract from interesting and instructional formats but at end of day its about money. so producers need to sell programmes to broadcasters and it gets expensive filming basic time consuming repairs. understand. majority of people watching know naff all all about actual machinery or care less so guess its a trade off. Ideally I think they are all missing a trick..spending time .expertise and often thousands repairing old cars for good outcomes such as SOS . however programmes such as these where cars are fixed and sold for a supposed 'profit' ( in reality only a labour costs not included) could do better by offering a car completed to public by a draw basis £2? and thus bring in funds for further series. even if only one at end of a show. see how much interest from public? maybe with a small cash sum to cover insurance ( tax?) etc another possible program could be classes for newbies? having say carbs. engines? etc being stripped and rebuilt by experts and explanations with an small audience whom can ask questions and watch. sort of involvement by public. possible even assisting to strip and rebuild things eg how to replace windscreen with hands on? small private area for a test drive for those attending? then local press (tv?) radio etc to build a bigger platform for us all. gain interest from youngsters maybe ? eg caterham 7 .mini gt. as having young person get to drive. one under guidance can possibly spark a life long interest.
old iron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the generational interest in old cars, my grandson was excited to sit behind the wheel of my 1928 Vauxhall, at the time he was six years old.
Then I moved into modern classics, the last one was a 1998 Fiat Coupe, he was completely disinterested. I asked him if he wanted to see it, he said no thank you Surprised
I quickly became disinterested in my new classics, not that they were poor cars, just that I love vintage. my latest acquisition a pre war Austin, I offered grandson a ride in it when he next visits in the Summer, he couldn’t be more excited at the prospect. Very Happy
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If said Grandson will be under 12 (or 1.35metres tall) will he be happy to know the law doesn't permit front seat use.
It is even arguable that in a car without S/belts they can only use the front seat after their 14th birthday when they become legally responsible for seat belt use.

I'm not sure what age Rick's son is, so it would be interesting to get Rick's input/experience on this.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
Going back to the generational interest in old cars, my grandson was excited to sit behind the wheel of my 1928 Vauxhall, at the time he was six years old.
Then I moved into modern classics, the last one was a 1998 Fiat Coupe, he was completely disinterested. I asked him if he wanted to see it, he said no thank you Surprised
I quickly became disinterested in my new classics, not that they were poor cars, just that I love vintage. my latest acquisition a pre war Austin, I offered grandson a ride in it when he next visits in the Summer, he couldn’t be more excited at the prospect. Very Happy

I liked reading about how your grandson has made the choice of Vintage over modern classics. I wonder if the very old cars are so far removed from what we have today that they are seen as an exciting - even adventurous - prospect?
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
If said Grandson will be under 12 (or 1.35metres tall) will he be happy to know the law doesn't permit front seat use.
It is even arguable that in a car without S/belts they can only use the front seat after their 14th birthday when they become legally responsible for seat belt use.

I'm not sure what age Rick's son is, so it would be interesting to get Rick's input/experience on this.

I wouldn't mind betting that most Coppers don't know that law. Wink
old iron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:

Thanks Penman, yes I’m aware of that particular piece of legislation, running my wedding hire business threw up a number of restrictions that I would have to relay to some of my customers.
The lad will be just eight this Summer, I am restricting his ride out to private land and at a safe slow speed. No way would I take him out without the required safety aspects in place, but I appreciate you offering the heads up Smile
old iron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
old iron wrote:

I liked reading about how your grandson has made the choice of Vintage over modern classics. I wonder if the very old cars are so far removed from what we have today that they are seen as an exciting - even adventurous - prospect?

Thank you, I have to say it took me a bit by surprise when he snubbed my (then) shiny classic car in the garage. I think you may well be right in suggesting it was perhaps too much like his mum & dads car!
When attending the steam rallies with my vintage caravan and car I have much interest from young families, less so from young grown ups.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little confused about the laws regarding children travelling in vintage or classic cars, when you Google it there are different 'opinions' given by different Insurance companies but if you check the actual seat belt law on Gov.uk it actually says:

'If your vehicle doesn’t have seat belts
If your vehicle doesn’t have seat belts, for example it’s a classic car, you aren’t allowed to carry any children under 3 years old in it.

Children over 3 are only allowed to sit in the back seats.

These rules only apply if your vehicle was originally made without seat belts.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: